About the opportunity
We are seeking an Assistant Project Manager to support the Southern California geography. Under the supervision of a Project Manager, an Assistant Project Manager for Archaeology performs field and office tasks while working with and supervising crew members. This position will primarily be office-based, with some fieldwork required. This is a regular, full-time, salaried position that will report to a Project Manager.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing, 1,700+ staff, employee-owned firm, providing a full-spectrum of environmental services. Our Vision (the North Star) is to make SWCA the best workplace and industry leader in sustainability, bringing sound science and creative solutions to global environmental challenges while maintaining a dedication to employee-ownership. We live our core values: we collaborate as #OneSWCA; we are #AlwaysLearning, we #NeverSettle, and we #GiveBack.
Application deadline: Our team will begin reviewing applications immediately, and interviews will be scheduled with qualified candidates on a rolling basis. The application process will remain open until we have received a robust pool of qualified candidates. Once we have identified suitable individuals, we may close the application process without prior notice. We appreciate the time and effort invested by all applicants and will carefully consider each submission.
What you will accomplish
- Conducts background research for archaeological studies, including records searches and Sacred Lands File searches, and facilitates Native American coordination.
- Ensures that appropriate preliminary research is conducted and organized prior to fieldwork, and that necessary equipment, staff, and other resources are ready for fieldwork.
- Coordinates with agency personnel, subconsultants, and Native American monitors, as needed, to arrange fieldwork and facilitate projects.
- Supervises fieldwork, including archaeological survey, testing, data recovery, and/or construction monitoring and ensures quality and completeness of data collected.
- Communicates regularly with the Project Manager to ensure that a project's budgetary and timetable needs are met. Supports invoicing and budget tracking.
- Takes initiative, resolves problems, and creates improved procedures to ensure that tasks are completed in the most effective and efficient manner.
- In coordination with the project manager, organizes the report writing and production effort and prepares technical reports.
- Maintains SWCA's high standard of scientific ethics and quality assurance; is motivated to identify and resolve problems in creative ways.
Experience and qualifications for success
- A bachelor's degree in anthropology, archaeology, history, or a closely related field is required. A master's degree is preferred.
- Participation in an accredited field school or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in cultural resources management (CRM) on a variety of project types, sizes, regions, and agencies.
- Qualified for listing on the California statewide Bureau of Land Management permit preferred.
- Experience with the application of standard archaeological survey and excavation techniques.
- Experience providing QA/QC review of field documents, site forms, and reports preferred.
- Experience leading crews of field technicians on a variety of project types, sizes, regions, and agencies preferred.
- Experience with implementing the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) Sections 106 and 110, and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) permitting processes is preferred.
- Ability to travel and be able to conduct fieldwork for long hours, sometimes in inclement weather conditions, often in rugged terrain, and be able to carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 40 pounds.
- Valid Driver's License with an acceptable driving record.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record's Top 200 Environmental Firms.
SWCA is committed to salary equity and salary transparency for all its employees. In alignment with this commitment, SWCA posts good faith pay ranges on all its advertised job postings to promote pay equity and transparency.
An employee in this Pasadena, CA - based position can expect a pay rate of $30.94 - $39.38/hr. Actual pay within this range may depend on experience, qualifications, geographic location, client requirements where applicable, and other factors permitted by law. Regular-status employees are also eligible for performance bonuses. Candidates are also encouraged to consider SWCA's Total Rewards package, which includes a competitive Benefits package, forward-thinking workplace flexibility, outstanding corporate culture, award-winning career development, and more.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email email@example.com or call 480-581-5378. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply. At SWCA Environmental Consultants, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive work environment. We strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds, including those with diverse experiences and veterans, to apply. We believe that a diverse and inclusive workforce enhances creativity, innovation, and overall organizational success
SWCA continues to invest deeply in career development programs, delivering our award-winning Career Landscape support resources to accelerate the growth of our staff. We recognize the valuable skills and experiences our internal team members bring to SWCA's continued success. Qualified internal candidates are encouraged to apply and will be seriously considered for this position. We believe in promoting from within, where possible, providing our existing employees with compelling opportunities to advance their careers.