Essential Functions of Position
Provide quality instruction, create and maintain an environment which emphasizes teaching and learning and encourages free discussion of ideas, interests and issues. Primary duties of Part-time faculty members are related to curriculum and teaching; the assignment is divided between lecture and lab classes as determined by the dept. Part-time instructional faculty are required to be available to students outside of class.
Part-Time Faculty Salary
The starting credit part-time faculty rate from salary table 11 is $88.72 per hour-Lecture and $70.98 per hour-Lab. If you have a doctorate, the rate is $93.00 per hour-Lecture and $74.40 per hour-Lab.
Education and Experience
Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications for the discipline as approved by the California Community Colleges Board of Governors and defined in the Minimum Qualifications for Faculty and Administrators in California Community Colleges handbook.
Master's in anthropology
Bachelor's in either of the above
Master's in sociology, biological sciences, forensic
sciences, genetics or paleontology
Possess a combination of education and experience that is at least the equivalent to all of the above. Candidates making an application on the basis of equivalency must submit an Application for Equivalency in addition to all other required material.
Evidence of a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, culture, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty and staff.
If the title of your degree as stated on your transcriptsDOES NOT EXACTLY MATCHone of the degree titles listed in the minimum qualifications listed above, you must request an equivalency review and submit conclusive supporting documents at the time of application. Those documents include a completed SBCC Equivalency Crosswalk and a narrative synopsis of your educational background justifying equivalency.
Instructions for Completing Equivalency Documentation
Knowledge and Abilities
REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS:
(The following required documents must be submitted electronically via the online application system.)
- Online District Application form athttps://www.schooljobs.com/careers/sbcc
- Cover letter addressing the applicant's experience and the desirable qualifications listed in this announcement.
- CV or Resume.
- Within the online application is a required supplemental question on diversity. The committee will be reviewing your answer as part of the screening process. Please take your time and answer the question thoroughly
- Copy of an unofficial college/university transcript, which verifies minimum qualifications.Transcripts must show the degree title and the date the degree was conferred or the degree will not be considered for the purpose of determining if you meet minimum qualifications. If the qualifying degree has yet to be conferred and you expect to have the degree before you begin employment, you must submit transcripts that state the title of the degree you are working toward obtaining and indicate the anticipated completion date in your response to the associated supplemental question provided during the application process. Diplomas will not be accepted in lieu of transcripts.An official copy of your transcripts will be required upon being hired.Instructors will not be allowed to start working until official transcripts have been received.
- If claiming equivalency, attach a separate statement in the "Documents Needed To Apply" section entitled "Equivalency" in the online application. The statement presents the basis for this claim and submit supporting evidence, e.g. transcripts, publications, other documents.
Instructions for Completing Equivalency Documentation
- Foreign Transcript:Transcripts issued outside the United States require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from an official USA certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached to the online application. NOTE: If you have completed coursework at a foreign institution that is not recognized as accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or the U.S. Department of Education, you must include a full evaluation of the foreign transcript with your application materials if you wish for us to consider the coursework. To search for institutions that are recognized as accredited by CHEA or the U.S. Department of Education, visit http://www.chea.org/search/search.asp or http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/search.aspx. For a list of recognized organizations providing transcript evaluation services, visithttp://www.naces.org/members.htm.
- Letters of reference are not required for this recruitment. Please do not submit reference letters within your online application.
If you experience technical difficulties attaching any of your documents electronically, please contact Human Resources for instructions. If you do not have a scanner, there are commercial facilities available to assist you with this process. All required documents must be submitted with your electronic application by the application deadline or your application will be considered incomplete and will not be considered.
To be considered for this position, a complete online application including all required application documents (listed above) must be submitted viahttps://www.schooljobs.com/careers/sbccby the application deadline (please see instructions to applicants). It is important that the online District Application form (Item #1) be complete and specific to fully indicate the education, experience and other qualifications of the applicant. "See Resume" is not acceptable.
If you apply for more than one position, copies of all the required documents must be attached separately for each position. Applications and all documents submitted become the property of SBCC and are retained electronically.
Please Note: You will receive a confirmation number when your complete application has been successfully submitted online.
The selection committee, who will recommend candidates for personal interviews at SBCC, will initially review online applications. A teaching demonstration will be required for selected applicants. After the initial interviews have been conducted, the committee will recommend the top candidates to the Superintendent/President for a final interview. The successful candidate's name will then be presented to the Board of Trustees for final approval and authorization to hire.Candidates will participate primarily in remote interviews and in some instances final interviews may be conducted in person while observing all health and safety protocols as approved by the Santa Barbara County Health Department.
Please Note: Santa Barbara City College regrets that applicants cannot be reimbursed for expenses related to the application or interview process, including travel expenses.
Accommodation for Applicants with Disabilities:
If you are selected for an interview and need special services or facilities to participate in the interview, please contact Human Resources. Reasonable accommodation will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
General Requirements to be submitted Upon Offer of Employment:
- Satisfactory fingerprint report and a completed tuberculosis risk assessment.
- Documentation verifying identity and United States citizenship or authorization that you have the right to work in the United States permanently and do not now or in the future require sponsorship by Santa Barbara City College or other hiring institutions.
- Official transcripts conferring college degrees indicated on the employment application.