About the opportunity
Do you thrive in the pursuit of ensuring excellence in environmental consulting services for your clients? SWCA Environmental Consultants is expanding their team and looking for dynamic individuals who are following their passion in delivering the highest-quality project work. We are looking for a Project Archaeologist to join our growing Bismarck, North Dakota, and Minneapolis, Minnesota (and surrounding area) business. We are considering a range of project management experience (from an assistant project archaeologist to more experienced project archaeologist- anywhere between three (3) to seven (7)+ years of relevant industry experience) to join our team, managing and working on cultural resources projects in North Dakota, and Minnesota.
Position titles may include:
- Assistant Project Archaeologist-- Typically with at least three (3) years of relevant industry experience and expertise.
- Associate Project Archaeologist - Typically with at least five (5) years of relevant industry experience and expertise.
- Project Archaeologist -- Typically with at least seven (7) years of relevant industry experience and expertise.
This is a permanent (with benefits), full-time position. Your role will be to take on the responsibility for a successful project execution, pursue project opportunities, managing projects and clients, and conduct and supervise fieldwork. As a Project Archaeologist - PM, you will be an integral member of our collaborative team, contributing to successful projects in our local offices and with other SWCA offices.
This position will be based in the northern Plains (especially in Minnesota or North Dakota) but can be remote.
Application deadline: Our team will begin reviewing applications immediately, and interviews will be scheduled with qualified candidates on a rolling basis. The application process will remain open until we have received a robust pool of qualified candidates. Once we have identified suitable individuals, we may close the application process without prior notice. We appreciate the time and effort invested by all applicants and will carefully consider each submission.
Our Vision (the North Star), Core Values, and Purpose: Help drive SWCA to be the best workplace and industry leader in sustainability, bringing sound science and creative solutions to global environmental challenges while maintaining a dedication to employee-ownership.
We are #OneSWCA and collaborate across all our offices, programs, and disciplines. We are #AlwaysLearning, we #NeverSettle and we #GiveBack. We are 100% employee-owned, and we build our success together. It is imperative for the successful candidate to fit SWCA's unique culture. Do you appreciate sustainability and environmental awareness? Is giving back to your community a priority? SWCA is a team of scientists, planners, technical experts, and corporate services professionals that are committed to our culture.
Our company purpose is to preserve natural and cultural resources for tomorrow while enabling projects that benefit people today. You are invited to be a part of our success story.
What you will accomplish
- Manage all aspects of projects, including fieldwork, research, and report writing, with responsibility for successful on-time and on-budget completion of projects. More junior candidates will manage sub-tasks and/or smaller projects
- Supervise, direct, and instruct personnel in the field and in the office.
- Conduct and oversee fieldwork, including inventory, data recovery, and monitoring. Manage QA/QC, organize, and track data. Conduct field GPS data collection using Trimble units and/or tablets.
- Conduct and oversee laboratory analysis and office-based research.
- Prepare and create technical, high-quality proposals, scientific reports, site form preparation, research, and literature reviews within scope, on budget, and on time with little supervisory oversight.
- Take initiative, resolve problems, and create improved procedures to ensure tasks are completed in the most effective manner. Must also demonstrate ability to anticipate problems early and make decisions in a timely manner.
- Coordinate effectively and professionally with clients and agency representatives.
- Take leadership or support business development and marketing efforts, including developing new client relationships and attending various conference and networking events
Experience and qualifications for success
- Minimum of a Bachelor degree in Archaeology, Anthropology, or related field.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in Cultural Resource Management.
- Working knowledge of federal, state and/or local regulations (e.g., National Environmental Policy Act, National Historic Preservation Act, Section 106) governing cultural resource management in the either the Dakotas, Minnesota, or surrounding states.
- Advanced skills and knowledge in one or more specialty areas within archaeology (prehistoric or historic).
- Demonstrated proficiency in project planning, coordination, scheduling, creating/tracking budgets, and understanding of all aspects of a project from pre-field tasks to final report preparation.
- Prior experience as the Primary CRM report author.
- Prior experience providing quality control review of field documents, site forms, and reports.
- Ability to be listed on federal and state permits within the region
- Master's degree in Archaeology, Anthropology, or related field.
- Minimum of five (5) to seven (7) years of experience in the Cultural Resource Management field, including two (2) to four (4) years of managing projects and staff
- Experience leading large field crews.
- Ability to travel an estimated 40% - 60% of the time.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record's Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 480-581-5378. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
SWCA is committed to salary equity and salary transparency for all its employees. In alignment with this commitment, SWCA posts good faith pay ranges in all its advertised job postings to promote pay equity and transparency.
An employee in this Bismarck, ND -based position can expect a salary of: For Assistant Project Archaeologist -- $26.00/hour to $33.00/hour; for Associate Project Archaeologist -- $60,320.00 to $76,960.00; for Project Archaeologist -- $67,080.00 to $85,800.00/year. Actual pay within this range may depend on experience, qualifications, geographic location, client requirements where applicable, and other factors permitted by law. Regular-status employees are also eligible for performance bonuses. Candidates are also encouraged to consider SWCA's Total Rewards package, which includes a competitive Benefits package, forward-thinking workplace flexibility, outstanding corporate culture, award-winning career development, and more.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply. At SWCA Environmental Consultants, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive work environment. We strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds, including those with diverse experiences and veterans, to apply. We believe that a diverse and inclusive workforce enhances creativity, innovation, and overall organizational success
SWCA continues to invest deeply in career development programs, delivering our award-winning Career Landscape support resources to accelerate the growth of our staff. We recognize the valuable skills and experiences our internal team members bring to SWCA's continued success. Qualified internal candidates are encouraged to apply and will be seriously considered for this position. We believe in promoting from within, where possible, providing our existing employees with compelling opportunities to advance their careers.