Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Provisional Appointment: Candidates must have a bachelor's degree in education, ethnic studies, gender studies, museum studies, sociology, history, biology, anthropology, archeology, art, or geology AND one year of professional-level experience* in the conceptual development of exhibits or exhibit-related programs for a major institution or agency with an annual visitation of at least 30,000.
- Substitutions: A master's degree in any of the above areas may substitute for a year of experience.
Duties Description The New York Education Department's (NYSED) Office of Cultural Education (OCE) seeking to fill a Museum Support Services Specialist 2 (MSSS2) position, in the Office of Cultural Education at the New York State Museum. Under the supervision of the Chief of Museum Education & Visitor Services, the MSSS2 duties will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Organize and schedule all public programs with the staff of the New York State Museum (NYSM), NYSM Public Programming Committee, collaborative partners within the Office of Cultural Education, and external partners;
- Work within a structured approval and implementation process to coordinate multiple elements in the execution of public programs in both in-person and virtual formats and both live and asynchronous experiences;
- Facilitate the creation of Public Programming Scopes aligned to the State Museum mission. All proposed public programs to be approved by NYSM Management and the NYSM Public Programming Committee, lead monthly NYSM Public Programming Committee meetings, and create quarterly calendars of programs, dates, times, and descriptions for public outreach;
- Coordinate with NYSM content specialists, community stakeholders, and collaborating partners to identify and support bringing diverse perspectives and voices to NYSM audiences through public and educational programming initiatives;
- Inform NYSM staff of the schedule of programs, logistical needs, updates and changes, and how specific staff is required to support programming;
- Coordinate all aspects of scheduled programs including ordering supplies, audio visual needs, technology and equipment needs, marketing and promotion, program set up, including logistical needs and staff management;
- Work with Manager of Media Relations and Marketing and Exhibit Specialist, Media Arts Design to provide details for the NYSM's website, online calendar, community webpages, organizational LCD screens, as well as social media and other formats of marketing when necessary;
- Support Museum Education Office (MEO) and NYSM educational initiatives including professional development opportunities for educators and assist in adapting public programs for Certified Teacher Leader Education (CTLE) accreditation when approved and appropriate
- Act as the liaison between community members, public relations, other state organizations, fire safety, security and staff in the organization of programming and annual events;
- Coordinate Museum Education, Public Programs, visitor Service, and Volunteer service staff to represent the museum and cover the needs of scheduled programs;
- Organize and report the attendance records of scheduled programs and maintain annual audience participation in scheduled programs; and
- Engage with the public and act as main contact for unexpected issues during public programs.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a temporary provisional appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees' negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. The work schedule for this position is 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday-Friday with additional weekends and holidays as assigned.
This position leads to a maximum salary of $80,248 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 26, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OCE-1382/27551) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
New York State Education Department (NYSED) is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. NYS Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination because of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status, domestic violence victim status, gender identity, prior conviction records, prior arrests, youthful offender adjudications, or sealed records.
Interested in a job with New York State, but don't know where to start?
Visit these links for information on working for New York State:
Generous benefits of working for New York State, including, but not limited to, the following:
Holiday & Paid Time Off
- Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually.
- Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave in year one, increasing to 20+ days with additional years of service.
- Five (5) days of paid personal leave annually.
- Thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF/CSEA and eight (8) days paid sick leave annually for M/C.
- Annual professional leave and educational leave opportunities for eligible staff.
Health Care Benefits
- Eligible employees and dependents can choose from a variety of affordable and generous health insurance programs.
- Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost.
- Enrollment in the New York State pension system which has earned the distinction of being one of the best-managed and best-funded plans in the nation OR Optional Retirement Defined Contribution Plan with 8% salary match (eligibility requirements apply).
- NYS Deferred Compensation and an exclusive 403(b) Optional Retirement Savings Plan.
- Paid Parental Leave for all employees and Paid Family Leave (M/C Only).
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF).
- Opportunities for telecommuting.
- Eligibility for various life insurance options.