Mobile Museum Educator
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County was the first museum in L.A. to open its doors 109 years ago and is poised for an exciting new era as it plans for the future. Having recently completed a new strategic framework, the Natural History Museums of Los Angeles County-including NHMLA at Exposition Park, La Brea Tar Pits and museum in mid-Wilshire, and the William S. Hart Museum in Newhall-is looking forward to new building projects and campaigns, exhibitions, community outreach, and innovative audience engagement.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County values and endeavors to support diversity, equity, inclusion, and access within its organization and communities. Candidates who identify as Black, Indigenous, or a Person of Color (BIPOC), neurodiverse, gender, a person with disability, a veteran, and/or a part of the LGBTQAI+ community are welcome and encouraged to apply.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is seeking a Mobile Museum Educator for our Education & Programs department. The Mobile Museum Educator works closely with the Supervisor, Mobile Museum to facilitate and implement the Mobile Museum programs for students, teachers, and our communities. It is an exciting time as we embark on new journeys of becoming a museum of, for, and with L.A.
Responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Program Instruction: Facilitates Mobile Museum and Education programs for students, teachers, and communities.
- Mobile Museum Program School Relations: Serves as liaison to school administrators and teachers.
- Program Set-up/Strike-down: Manages off site, on site, and virtual operations for the program including setting up and striking down processes each day. Cleaning and day-to-day care of work spaces and educational materials, including reporting maintenance issues to appropriate staff.
- Mobile Museum Curriculum: Assists in the research, development and updating of program curriculum and content for all outreach instruction as requested.
- Program Evaluation: Assists with the evaluation of Mobile Museum Programs and other outreach endeavors.
- Program Statistics: Tracks and records audience data for evaluation and grant reporting purposes
This position has the following requirements:
- Teaching experience, especially with K-12 school audiences in a museum or other informal/formal learning setting.
- Bachelor's degree in Education, Biological Science, History, Anthropology or related field preferred but not required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Integrity and the ability to carry oneself with the demeanor, decorum, and professionalism needed for the position and its interaction with others as a representative of the team and NHMLAC to the public.
- Ability to work offsite, independently as well as collaboratively with a team, and be expected to manage time efficiently. Must be flexible, especially in regards to issues that arise off-site and with scheduling.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is especially interested in candidates whose background and experience have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to engagement and inclusion at culturally diverse audiences in museums and in sciences.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is seeking applicants who have demonstrated experience and commitment working with a diverse community. Hourly range for this position is $22.60 plus excellent benefits. This is a full-time regular, non-exempt position.
A cover letter, current resume, and list of 3-4 references are required for all applicants. Review of applications begins immediately and continues until the position is filled. Interested candidates please visit www.nhmlac.org/careers-our-museums and click the link of the position for which you are interested or go directly to the online application.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.