About the opportunity
SWCA Environmental Consultants is seeking an Assistant Staff Archaeologist to join our Hawai'i Cultural Resources Program to work on projects throughout the Hawaiian Islands. The position is temporary, and work is currently dependent on project needs, with the potential to evolve into a full time, benefits eligible position. The ideal candidate should have experience in Hawaiian archaeology and possess a knowledge of Hawaiian culture. Compensation will be based on individual qualifications and experience. A key element of your job will be to independently supervise an archaeological survey crew in the field.
What you will accomplish
Supervise a small crew while conducting archaeological fieldwork. This includes:
- independently assigning and directing the activities of others on behalf of SWCA, often in remote areas without immediate guidance from senior managers, to ensure quality and on-time delivery;
- ensuring that employees understand their responsibilities and delegated tasks and are being held accountable if crew members under your supervision are not performing their activities correctly, productively, and safely;
- serving as a conduit of communication between employees and senior managers, including communicating issues to relevant senior managers;
- receiving and resolving complaints from employees in the field; and
- monitoring team productivity and providing timely performance feedback, including determining when corrective action is needed and delivering appropriate feedback.
Successful applicants must be able to conduct archaeological fieldwork including:
- test excavations
- data recovery and monitoring
- assist with background research and report preparation
Experience and qualifications for success
- A Bachelor's Degree (or higher) in anthropology, archaeology, or a closely related field
- An accredited Field School Certification is preferred
- Experience with a wide range of field methodologies, including archaeological survey, test excavation, and monitoring
- Hawai'i field experience preferred
- Experience in conducting laboratory analysis of artifacts and other cultural remains
- The ability to conduct background research and assist in the preparation of technical reports
- Current valid driver's license and the ability to safely operate a 4WD vehicle on rugged, back country roads
- Ability to travel to a location, walk, and conduct fieldwork for long hours, sometimes in inclement weather, rugged terrain, and often at high altitudes, and the ability to carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 40 pounds
- Must live in Hawai'i
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record's Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email email@example.com or call 480-581-5378. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
SWCA is committed to salary equity and salary transparency for all its employees. In alignment with this commitment, SWCA posts good faith pay ranges in all its advertised job postings to promote pay equity and transparency.
An employee in this Honolulu, Hawai'i based position can expect an hourly rate of $22.05/hr.-$28.35/hr. Actual pay within this range may depend on experience, qualifications, geographic location, client requirements where applicable, and other factors permitted by law. Regular-status employees are also eligible for performance bonuses. Candidates are also encouraged to consider SWCA's Total Rewards package, which includes a competitive Benefits package, forward-thinking workplace flexibility, outstanding corporate culture, award-winning career development, and more.