Experienced Project Archaeologist/early-level Principal Investigator to work in our San Antonio, TX office under the direction of the Cultural Resources Group Manager. This is a full-time position with benefits. The ideal candidate should enjoy working within a collaborative environment with other environmental scientists and archeologists in San Antonio and other offices and at various stages of their careers. This position would involve working alongside the Cultural Resources Group Manager to mentor junior and entry-level personnel, as well as manage projects and permits. This position would also include the development and interaction with clients and regulatory personnel.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Follow safety rules, guidelines, and standards for all projects. Participate in pre-task planning. Report any safety issues or concerns to management.
- Be responsible for maintaining quality standards on all projects
- Contribute to and participate in project planning for archaeological investigations of all types (pre-contact, historic, industrial, rural, urban) and phases (survey, evaluation, mitigation) located in Texas and adjacent areas and regions, as assigned
- Experience with digital field recording tools and platforms
- Support other non-archaeological Environmental Planning projects, tasks, and activities, as assigned
- Conduct independent pre-contact and historic documentary research
- Contribute to and lead proposals, methodologies, and research designs for all types and phases of archeological projects
- Contribute to written reports for all types and phases of archeological projects
- Maintain and provide QA/QC on field documentation and paperwork
- Oversees work performed by field and laboratory technicians under the direction of a Principal Investigator or Senior Archaeologist
- This position will come with opportunities to manage projects according to Terracon's Project Manager standards and expectations
- Membership in statewide professional associations such as the Council of Texas Archaeologists, and/or other evidence of professional engagement in the larger community
- Knowledge of curation procedures and requirements according to standards within Texas
- Ability to support the marketing of our archaeological services to new and existing clients
- Experience and technical familiarity with at least one archaeological region, artifact category, or discipline commonly encountered in Texas and/or surrounding region(s)
- Experience with ESRI ArcGIS software
- Master's Degree in Anthropology or closely related field required
- A minimum of five (5) years of previous professional archaeological experience within CRM
- A minimum of two (2) years experience at a supervisory level (crew chief, technical lead, or Project Archaeologist) in Texas and/or adjacent states and regions
- Working knowledge of Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act, the Antiquities Code of Texas, and the Unified Development Code of San Antonio
- Experience with writing technical reports that meet and exceed regulatory requirements and standards in Texas
- Experience with writing proposals and managing projects
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely using both written and verbal skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects within flexible/fluid schedules and project needs
- Ability to perform physically demanding tasks such as lifting, and walking on uneven surfaces carrying at least 20 lbs. of equipment, and ability to work in extreme (hot/cold) weather conditions
- Eligibility to work in the United States without sponsorship
- Ability to travel for overnight (including multiple days away) work assignments
- Ability to pass drug screening
Possession of a U.S. driver's license, with acceptable violation history
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned multidiscipline consulting firm comprised of more than 6,000 curious minds focused on solving engineering and technical challenges from more than 175 locations nationwide. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon's growth is due to our talented employee-owners exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon's vision of "Together, we are best at people" is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.