Archaeologist - ( 230004JU )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has a casual work atmosphere with a company that values creativity and hard work and is involved in diverse, world class projects.
Stantec is seeking an Archaeologist with demonstrated experience in Texas and/or adjacent states as well as Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA), National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), and Texas Antiquities Code compliance. This is a career opportunity for an archaeologist to support a growing cultural resources team for a leading environmental consulting firm. This team provides Section 106/NEPA analyses, technical studies, and project permitting for a wide variety of private and federal, state, and local government clients in the Southeast and Gulf Coast regions of the United States. The individual will support and lead cultural resources projects and selected business development opportunities and provide successful and independent management of archaeological and historical resources projects, including direction of field studies and recruitment and supervision of developing archaeological staff.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Principal investigator and/or project archaeologist/field director for complex, high profile cultural resource investigations for a variety of clients and sectors including work in the utilities industry (power and gas), transportation, renewable energy, and local government
- Mentor, supervise, and lead technical and operations resources for staff and senior project managers
- Financial management for key projects
- Ensuring the delivery of high-quality technical products through implementation and of quality review and independent review protocols
- Assist with and lead business development and marketing by building new client relationships and maintaining existing ones
- Lead technical elements of proposal development, including scope, budget, and schedule to ensure complete satisfaction
- Maintain a high professional profile externally through membership in professional organizations, continually increasing client contact base
- Serve in a client-facing and internal-facing leadership position for Stantec
- Assists in analyzing current and emerging technical issues, and implementing actions to proactively address market, business, regulatory, and/or economic issues
- Participate in Health, Safety, Security, and Environment (HSSE) Policies, Procedures, Standards and Guidelines in the execution of all work
- Provide supervision, training, technical direction and mentoring to developing staff
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Professional writing, problem solving, and communication skills
- Meets the qualifications as described in the Secretary of the Interior's Professional Qualification Standards for Archeology and Historic Preservation (48 FR §44716) and the Texas Historical Commission's Rules of Practice and Procedure (13 TAC Chapter 26)
- Registered Professional Archaeologist (RPA)or qualifications that meet requirements to become an RPA
- Demonstrated experience with Texas Antiquities Code and/or comparable regulatory compliance for archaeological projects
- Professional writing, problem solving, and communication skills
- Experience leading and conducting all phases of cultural resource investigations
- Builds and maintains productive professional and personal networking relationships
- Demonstrate leadership in striving to continuously improve technical performance
- Champions new ideas and initiatives and creates an environment that supports creativity and innovation
- Self-awareness of technical and/or professional abilities and the ability to determine when assistance from senior staff is needed
- Disciplined approach to project execution and technical excellence
- Ability to provide written and verbal direction on project delivery
- Ability to convey safety information to field staff
- Ability to use field data collection equipment such as GPS and Environment Systems Research Institute (ESRI) Collector and Survey 1-2-3.
- Good driving record and valid driver's license required
Education and Experience
- Master's Degree in anthropology/archaeology or a related discipline from an accredited university preferred
- Team-oriented experience in consulting acquired over at least 5-10 years of progressively responsible cultural resources positions
- Minimum 5 years of environmental consulting experience with experience in cultural resource management and archaeological compliance survey primarily in Texas and the Gulf Coast region
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing field crews and knowledge of compliance under the NHPA, the Texas Antiquities Code, or an equivalent law in another state
- TxDOT precertification in 2.10.1 Archeological Surveys, Documentation, Excavations, Testing Reports, and Data Recovery Plans preferred
- Strong skills in technical writing
- Experience in specialty areas including oil and gas, electric and gas transmission and distribution, renewable energy, and utilities
- Demonstrated positive reputation and relationships with environmental regulators
- Experience with digital data collection methods and techniques and use of GIS
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs. Willingness to travel for project work and business development opportunities
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees have access to medical, dental, and vision plans, a wellness program, health saving accounts, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan, employee stock purchase program, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage and paid family leave. Regular full-time and part-time employees will receive ten paid holidays in each calendar year. In addition, employees will be eligible to accrue vacation between 10 and 20 days per year and eligible for paid sick leave (and if more generous, in accordance with state and local law).
Temporary/casual employees have access to 401(k) plans, employee stock purchase program, and paid leave, in accordance with state and local law.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : United States-Texas-San Antonio
Other Locations : United States-Texas
Work Locations :
San Antonio TX
Organization : BC-2353 EnvSvcs-US Gulf West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 50 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Nov 6, 2023, 7:51:15 AM
Req ID: 230004JU
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans