About the opportunity
SWCA Environmental Consultants is seeking an experienced, self-motivated Staff Geoarchaeologist (HR Title: Staff Archaeologist) to join our Northern California team. You should have experience with Northern California geoarchaeology and geomorphology, with cultural resources consulting in California, and be prepared to be a key contributing member of our Northern California team.
Your role will be to lead geoarchaeological fieldwork, develop research designs, field methods, analyze data, and mentor staff. You should be able to work full time and have the ability to travel. SWCA offers an enthusiastic and supportive work environment with flexible schedules and a competitive total compensation and benefits package, including a stock ownership program. This position provides a great opportunity for a motivated individual to help grow an excellent cultural resources team. A key element of your job will be to independently supervise archaeological survey crews in the field. A key element of your job will be to independently supervise archaeological survey crews in the field.
When applying for this position, please submit a one page cover letter summarizing your experience and reasons for applying.
What you will accomplish
- Oversee all aspects of fieldwork to include: data collection, inventory, analysis, and final report production ensuring they are conducted in accordance with the QA/QC plan.
- Provide geoarchaeological background and analysis for a variety of projects.
- Other duties as needed such as: author large technical reports, research designs, treatment plans and other technical documents.
- Maintain good working relationships with state and federal agency contacts and clients.
- Supervise a small crew while conducting archaeological fieldwork. This includes:
- independently assigning and directing the activities of others on behalf of SWCA, often in remote areas without immediate guidance from senior managers, to ensure quality and on-time delivery;
- ensuring that employees understand their responsibilities and delegated tasks and being held accountable if crew members under your supervision are not performing their activities correctly, productively, and safely;
- serving as a conduit of communication between employees and senior managers, including communicating issues to relevant senior managers;
- receiving and resolving complaints from employees in the field; and
- monitoring team productivity and providing timely performance feedback, including determining when corrective action is needed and delivering appropriate feedback.
Experience and qualifications for success
- Minimum of a Master's degree in Archaeology, Geoarchaeology, Geology/Soil Science, Physical Geography or Anthropology required.
- Minimum of two (2) years of supervisory fieldwork experience required.
- Must demonstrate completion of survey, testing, and/or data recovery excavation projects involving geoarchaeological investigations and preparation of final reports consistent with the California Office of Historic Preservation (OHP) standards for cultural resource reporting, or similar requirements.
- High level knowledge and at least five-years supervisorial field expertise in San Francisco Bay Area prehistoric and historic archeology.
- Emphasis on geoarchaeology of the San Francisco Bay Area highly preferred.
- Experience with Section 106 and NEPA required.
- Experience working with Tribes and agency staff.
- Listed as a Registered Professional Archaeologist (or qualified for RPA status).
- Must have ability to be listed on various federal and state cultural resource permits.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing 100% employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental science firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record's Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 480-581-5378. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
SWCA is committed to salary equity and salary transparency for all its employees. In alignment with this commitment, SWCA posts good faith pay ranges in all its advertised job postings to promote pay equity and transparency.
a employee in this Half Moon Bay, California-based position can expect an hourly rate of $27.90/hour-$35.70/hour. Actual pay within this range may depend on experience, qualifications, geographic location, client requirements where applicable, and other factors permitted by law. Regular-status employees are also eligible for performance bonuses. Candidates are also encouraged to consider SWCA's Total Rewards package, which includes a competitive Benefits package, forward-thinking workplace flexibility, outstanding corporate culture, award-winning career development, and more.