Req ID 14384
Who We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. We're looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all experiences, skillsets, backgrounds and walks of life. We actively foster a work environment and culture where inclusion and diversity is part of our fundamental structure. This is delivered behaviorally, through our policies, trainings, local partnerships with professional diverse organizations, internal networks and most importantly with the support and sponsorship of our leaders who help drive our commitment to an inclusive, diverse, welcoming and equitable work environment. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
We are a global leader in environmental consulting - made stronger with the recent acquisition of Wood's Environment & Infrastructure business and Golder - with world-class expertise in environmental, social and governance (ESG), climate resiliency & sustainability (CRS), and earth sciences. Combined we have over 20,000 multidisciplinary professionals worldwide collaborating daily to protect and conserve natural landscapes, create firm foundations for communities to stand on, and champion sustainable development to combat climate change.
As part of the team, you will have access to an unparalleled network of resources and endless opportunities to collaborate on exciting projects with diverse teammates from across the globe.
WSP is currently initiating a search for a Senior Archaeologist for our Kansas City, Missouri office. Will also consider other locations in our Midwest region. Be involved in projects with our Heritage & Cultural Resources, Earth & Environment Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client's objectives and solves their challenges.
The WSP Kansas City office is centrally located in the beautiful historic River Market area of Downtown. Our office has grown to include over 80 local employees, providing expertise and collaboration on projects for our clients across multiple business lines. The Kansas City office is also home to one of WSP's nationally recognized full-service Heritage Resource laboratories, supporting nationwide collections management efforts and post-fieldwork processing. As a member of the Earth & Environment business line, new colleagues will have the opportunity to work directly with a dedicated team of Heritage Resource professionals committed to technical excellence and career development.
- Manage heritage and cultural resource projects.
- Direct field teams on archaeological surveys and excavations.
- Develop and implement research designs for heritage and cultural resource studies
- Assist with development and scoping of medium-sized projects
- Interact with clients, landowners, contractors, and others
- Work with tribal monitors and representatives
- Help clients comply with state and federal regulations
- Prepare and assist with completing cultural resources survey reports, data entry, impact assessment, and permitting activities for assigned projects (e.g. CEQA, NEPA, etc.).
- Perform professional archaeological work and conduct investigations, inspections, studies, and surveys to gain further information on a particular cultural resources problem or issue, verify site characteristics, and/or to plan for various historical preservation and environmental issues.
- Interact with regulatory and historical preservation agencies, subcontractors, and clients in a confident and professional manner.
- Work with cross-functional teams in executing project work.
- Remain current in latest archaeological methods, procedures, subject matter, and techniques.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP's Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Who You Are
- Master's Degree in Archaeology, Anthropology, historic preservation, or a related field.
- 5-7 years of relevant post-education experience in the context of Section 106/110 compliance.
- 5-7 years of experience in CRM archaeology, preferably in the Midwest.
- Thorough understanding of regulatory framework for heritage resource management compliance
- Proven project delivery track record.
- Successful client engagement and business development.
- Excellent technical writing skills.
- Management of interdisciplinary project teams.
- Expertise in the archaeology of the Midwest Region.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to a scientific and non-scientific audience.
- Highly capable self-leadership with attention to detail, multi-tasking, and prioritization of responsibilities in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to work independently and provide guidance and leadership to junior team or project members, with strict adherence to QA/QC.
- Developed critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to reach conclusions from testing results, data collation, and identify the most effective solutions to accomplish objectives of assigned projects.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP's health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- Ph.D. is preferred.
- Preference will be given to a specialist with clearly defined knowledge, skills and abilities as evidenced through publications/presentations and work experience in the Central United States.
- Active participation in professional practice organizations.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Travel Required: 50%
- Job Status: Regular
- Employee Type: Full
- Primary Location: KANSAS CITY - WYANDOTTE ST
- All locations: US-IA-Des Moines, US-IL-Chicago, US-MN-Minneapolis, US-MO-Kansas City, US-MO-St Louis
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 15,000 employees in over 300 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com
WSP provides a flexible and agile workplace model while meeting client needs. Employees are also afforded a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on providing health and financial stability throughout the employee's career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES:
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, employment agencies, or other staffing services. Unsolicited resumes include any resume or hiring document sent to WSP in the absence of a signed Service Agreement where WSP has expressly requested recruitment/staffing services specific to the position at hand. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers or other business leaders, will become the property of WSP and WSP will have the right to hire that candidate without reservation - no fee or other compensation will be owed or paid to the recruiter, employment agency, or other staffing service.