Archaeology Crew Chief - ( 230003ZQ )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec, is currently seeking an Archaeology Crew Chief, based in Oklahoma, to direct field activities. Our team provides Section 106/NEPA analysis, technical studies, and project permitting for a wide variety of private and federal, state, and local government clients in Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and the surrounding region.
This position requires the ability to work outdoors in remote locations and for extended periods under all weather conditions, often traversing rugged terrain, demonstrating awareness for workplace safety; and ability to work independently when conditions are appropriate or with limited supervision.
This is a full-time opportunity.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Oversee and lead an archaeological crew during archaeological surveys and excavation projects.
- Utilize a variety of field methodologies, including archaeological survey, testing, excavation, surface collection, and monitoring.
- Leads the collection, recording, and interpretation of archaeological data in the field and analysis activities.
- Record and evaluate soils using color (Munsell), texture, and inclusions; Orienteering using a compass, USGS topographic maps, plan maps, GPS units, iPads, and aerial photography.
- Assist with setting up a site grid, datum, and excavations units; Mapping site plans and individual shovel tests, units, and features in plan and profile.
- Identify historic and prehistoric artifacts following standard collection procedures.
- Identify cultural features.
- Clean and prepare site surfaces for mapping and photography.
- Assistant with laboratory reporting, as needed.
- May need to coordinate property entry with right of way agents and/or property owners.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Experience with GPS, AGOL/Survey 123 and similar programs a plus.
- Experience with field recordation with tablets an added asset.
- Knowledge of Phase I, II, and III archaeological excavations/assessments required.
- Ability and willingness to work under varied weather conditions.
- Ability to walk and conduct fieldwork for long hours through sometimes rugged terrain and ability to carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 40 pounds is required.
- Industry-specific safety training certificates is an asset.
- Requires valid driver's license and good driving record.
- Prior to employment with Stantec this position will require the successful completion of a background check; drug and alcohol screening may be required by certain clients on a project-specific basis.
- Extensive travel required.
Education and Experience
- An associate's degree or technical school diploma/certificate in archaeology/anthropology or closely related field. Bachelors degree preferred.
- At least 1 season of a field school.
- At least 3 years supervisory field experience.
- Archaeological field experience in the Great Plains region a plus.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Frequently required to stand
- Frequently required to walk
- Frequently required to utilize hand and finger dexterity
- Frequently required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel or crawl
- Frequently required to talk or hear
- Frequently utilize visual acuity and color/depth perception to operate equipment, examine objects and materials (soils, sediments, artifacts, ecofacts), measure/estimate distances, read technical information, and/or use a keyboard
- Frequently required to lift/push/carry items
- Frequently exposed to outside weather conditions (summer heat humidity, winter cold, etc.) and/or wide ranges of conditions in a short time (e.g., repeatedly moving from outside heat to air-conditioned vehicle interior and vice versa)
- Occasionally exposed to loud noise (e.g., highway traffic, large earth-moving equipment)
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees have access to medical, dental, and vision plans, a wellness program, health saving accounts, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan, employee stock purchase program, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage and paid family leave. Regular full-time and part-time employees will receive ten paid holidays in each calendar year. In addition, employees will be eligible to accrue vacation between 10 and 20 days per year and eligible for paid sick leave (and if more generous, in accordance with state and local law).
Temporary/casual employees have access to 401(k) plans, employee stock purchase program, and paid leave, in accordance with state and local law.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : United States-Oklahoma-Tulsa
Other Locations : United States-Texas-Austin
Work Locations :
Organization : BC-2353 EnvSvcs-US Gulf West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 50 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Oct 3, 2023, 5:49:12 AM
Req ID: 230003ZQ
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans