About the opportunity
SWCA Environmental Consultants is seeking an Assistant Staff Archaeologist- Field Lead for our San Antonio, TX office. This is a temporary, hourly, non- exempt position subject to variable hours and travel.
A key element of your job will be to independently supervise an archaeological survey crew in the field.
We are #OneSWCA and collaborate across all our offices, programs, and disciplines. We are #AlwaysLearning, we #NeverSettle and we #GiveBack. We are 100% employee-owned, and we build our success together. It is imperative for the successful candidate to fit SWCA's unique culture. Do you appreciate sustainability and environmental awareness? Is giving back to your community a priority? SWCA is a team of scientists, planners, technical experts, and corporate services professionals that are committed to our culture.
What you will accomplish
Supervise a small crew while conducting archaeological fieldwork. This includes:
- Independently assigning and directing the activities of others on behalf of SWCA, often in remote areas without immediate guidance from senior managers, to ensure quality and on-time delivery
- Ensuring that employees understand their responsibilities and delegated tasks and are being held accountable if crew members under your supervision are not performing their activities correctly, productively, and safely
- Serving as a conduit of communication between employees and senior managers, including communicating issues to relevant senior managers
- Receiving and resolving complaints from employees in the field
- Monitoring team productivity and offering timely performance guidance, including determining when corrective action is needed and delivering appropriate feedback.
- Communicate effectively with Field Directors, Project Managers, and GIS staff through regular, scheduled field status reports (both verbally and written)
- Conducting archaeological field work including monitoring, surveying, testing, and data recovery.
- Complete sketch maps of archaeological sites/historic resources.
- Participate in background research and data QA/QC of field forms.
- Assist with mapping responsibilities in the field, including collection of GPS data using tablets and Geodes.
Experience and qualifications for success
- A Bachelor's degree in anthropology, archaeology, history, or a closely related field is required.
- Participation in an accredited field school or equivalent experience required.
- At least two (2) years of professional fieldwork experience identifying and documenting cultural resources in central Texas using a range of field methodologies, including survey, testing, excavation, and monitoring is required.
- Master's degree in anthropology, archaeology, history, or a closely related field.
- Previous field supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of Survey 123 or Arc Collector software, and ability to use tablets and Geodes.
- Archaeological laboratory experience.
- Residing in, or willing to relocate to San Antonio, TX. Relocation benefits are not available for this position.
- Ability to travel (sometimes overnight) to a location for an extended period of time, walk and conduct fieldwork for long hours, sometimes in inclement weather, rugged terrain, often at high altitudes, and ability to carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 40 pounds is required. An understanding and willingness to safely accommodate these environmental challenges is required.
- Must have a valid driver's license and the ability to safely operate a 4wd vehicle on rugged, backcountry roads required; must be able to pass a Motor Vehicle background screening.
- Must be able to work safely on construction sites and around heavy equipment.
- Must be able to communicate and coordinate effectively with cultural resources staff, construction personnel, and Native American monitors
- Flexibility and willingness to learn company procedures, and ability to try new, improved techniques and to make independent decisions when appropriate to the situation or make adjustments as a member of a team in order to complete tasks in the most efficient and accurate manner.
- Active 40-hour HAZWOPER training preferred.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is an established and flourishing environmental firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental compliance services. SWCA is an employee-owned company composed of environmental professionals who specialize in natural and cultural resource management, environmental planning, and regulatory compliance.
With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance companies and consistently ranks among Engineering News-Record's Top 200 Environmental Firms. We offer a team-oriented work environment, and a competitive compensation and benefits package, including an employee stock ownership plan (retirement) for full-time, regular employees.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email email@example.com or call 480-581-5378. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response
SWCA is committed to salary equity and salary transparency for all its employees. In alignment with this commitment, SWCA posts good faith pay ranges on all its advertised job postings to promote pay equity and transparency.
An employee in this San Antonio, TX-based position can expect an hourly pay rate of $22.05 - $28.35/hour. Actual pay within this range may depend on experience, qualifications, geographic location, client requirements where applicable, and other factors permitted by law.
This position is eligible for our wellness paid time off, employee assistance program and wellness program activities.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.