Collections Management, Generalist Paid-Internship
LACMA's encyclopedic collection includes nearly 149,000 artworks of all material types from all over the world and from all timespans. The collections management department is responsible for the preservation, storage, and organization of the art collection, and plays a critical role in providing access to the collection for LACMA staff and visiting scholars.
Under the supervision of the Senior Collections Management Technician-Generalist, the Collections Management Intern will learn day-to-day tasks performed by collections management staff and hands-on experience in handling artworks of various media types. While shadowing collections management staff, the intern will learn best practices and be included in various tasks such as inventorying the collection, using the TMS database, condition checking artworks, and proper packing of artworks. Additionally, the intern will be exposed to environmental monitoring systems and integrated preventative pest management. The main focus of the internship will be the rehousing a large collection of artworks from the Ancient Art of the Americas department to archival standards.
- This is a paid internship (12 hours per week or less) at $16.78/hour
- Anticipated Internship period: January 16, 2024 - May 10, 2024
- The internship is at an offsite facility in Los Angeles County (not on LACMA's main campus).
- Candidates must be currently enrolled in or a recent graduate of an accredited graduate, undergraduate, or community college program
- LACMA's definition of 'recently graduated': within 1 year after graduation
- Preference will be given to candidates who have completed coursework in museum studies, collections management, art history, fundamentals of conservation science, studio art, art education, library science, anthropology, or history
- If you need to meet certain criteria to obtain academic credit, please include them in the cover letter to verify if the LACMA internship can meet the requirements
REQUIRED SUBMISSION MATERIALS
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcript