The University of Vermont’s Department of Anthropology in The College of Arts & Sciences invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track faculty member at the rank of Assistant Professor in the subfield of Sociocultural Anthropology. The position will start in the Fall 2024 semester.
We seek a sociocultural anthropologist whose research and teaching focus on transnational migration, diaspora, refugees, human rights, crisis and disaster response, and/or climate change-related displacement and mobility. Geographic and cultural area is open, but preference will be given to candidates working outside of the Americas. A research focus on the intersection of these matters with gender and/or humanitarian activities and interventions is considered a plus.
The successful candidate should:
- Hold a Ph.D. degree in Social or Cultural Anthropology by the time of appointment. Demonstrate excellence and promise in scholarship, research funding, teaching, and publications.
- Have the capacity to teach undergraduate courses ranging from introductory Cultural Anthropology to more specialized courses at the advanced undergraduate, and potentially graduate, levels in the area of the candidate’s expertise.
- Be able to successfully advise and mentor undergraduate students, and potentially graduate students, in addition to providing professional contributions and service.
The successful candidate will assume a range of responsibilities that include:
- Maintaining an active research agenda, securing external funding, and publishing peer-reviewed journal articles and/or books
- Teaching and advising undergraduate students in Anthropology. Opportunities also exist to participate in a range of interdisciplinary programs.
- Collaborating with Department faculty in governance, program development, scholarship, and service
- Serving as an active member of relevant scholarly societies and/or professional associations
- Engaging in service and outreach activities beyond the Department at the college, university, regional, state, national and international levels.
Review of applications will begin on November 1, 2023 and continue until the position is filled. For more detailed information about us, visit the Anthropology Department’s website, https://www.uvm.edu/cas/anthropology; the College of Arts & Sciences’ website, www.uvm.edu/cas; and the University of Vermont’s website, www.uvm.edu.
Anticipated start date is August 19, 2024. The hire must have completed the Ph.D. degree before the hire date. Please apply online at www.uvmjobs.com.
Applicants are asked to include:
- Curriculum vitae (CV) Two representative publications
- A statement of research focus
- A teaching statement describing approach, philosophy, and interests
- A statement about how they plan to contribute to the diversity, inclusion, and equity work of the University and the College of Arts and Sciences
- Contact information for three professional references. The reference providers will be emailed information to upload their letters
Questions about the position should be directed to Prof. Scott Van Keuren (Scott.VanKeuren@uvm.edu), who is chair of the search committee.