About the opportunity
SWCA's Central Texas / Oklahoma operation is seeking two (2) Lead Archaeologists for their Austin, TX office to support its growing practice. You will assist the Directors, Team Leads, and Project Managers with project coordination and quality control for cultural resource management projects and expand SWCA's professional reputation in archaeological and historical consulting and research. This is a regular, full-time salaried position reporting to our Central Texas Cultural Resources Director.
This is a full time, regular status, salaried position, with benefits that offers the flexibility of a hybrid work environment.
Our Vision (the North Star), Core Values, and Purpose: Help drive SWCA to be the best workplace and industry leader in sustainability, bringing sound science and creative solutions to global environmental challenges while maintaining a dedication to employee-ownership.
We are #OneSWCA and collaborate across all our offices, programs, and disciplines. We are #AlwaysLearning, we #NeverSettle and we #GiveBack. We are 100% employee-owned, and we build our success together. It is imperative for the successful candidate to fit SWCA's unique culture. Do you appreciate sustainability and environmental awareness? Is giving back to your community a priority? SWCA is a team of scientists, planners, technical experts, and corporate services professionals that are committed to our culture.
What you will accomplish
- Serve as primary author on large technical reports, research designs, and other technical documents.
- Conduct content edits of technical reports and site forms.
- Oversee field research, data collection, inventory, analysis, and final report production, ensuring these tasks are conducted in accordance with the QA/QC plan.
- Assist with training and mentoring of staff in topics including NRHP eligibility, implementation of research designs, technical reporting, and site recording protocols.
- Take initiative, resolve problems, and create improved procedures to ensure that tasks are completed in the most effective manner.
- Contribute to fostering a collaborative team environment that leads to successful projects and team members in the local offices and with other SWCA offices as part of One SWCA.
- Maintain good working relationships with state and federal agency contacts and clients.
- Additional project management duties as needed: manage budgets and projects, prepare proposals, interact with clients, and manage staff.
- Demonstrate proficiency in project management and effective delegation.
- Have a proven client network which is supported by a proven reputation for providing highest quality service to clients.
- Dedication to scientific integrity and quality work products for all clientele.
- Commitment to the Mission, Vision, and Values of SWCA.
Experience and qualifications for success
- Minimum of a master's degree in Archaeology or Anthropology required.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of archaeology fieldwork experience- academic or research-oriented supervisory experience can substitute for a portion of compliance-based experience.
- Experience with and thorough knowledge of NEPA, Section 106, and the Antiquities Code of Texas.
- Listed as a Registered Professional Archaeologist (or qualified for RPA status).
- Experience with content edits of reports and a solid background of scheduling and budgeting of projects related to cultural resources.
- Ability to work independently as well as oversee small or large projects by working closely with Field Directors, Project Managers, and Team Leads.
- Ability to travel an estimated 20 percent of the time.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record's Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email email@example.com or call 1-480-581-5378. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
SWCA is committed to salary equity and salary transparency for all its employees. In alignment with this commitment, SWCA posts good faith pay ranges on all its advertised job postings to promote pay equity and transparency.
An employee in this Austin, TX - based position can expect a salary of $79,170.00/yr. - $103,194.00/yr. Actual pay within this range may depend on experience, qualifications, geographic location, client requirements where applicable, and other factors permitted by law.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.