On-Call Archaeologist - ( 230003RR )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Join Stantec's Environmental Services Cultural Resources Team in Southern California. We are seeking innovative and motivated team members to help grow our cultural resources program, which currently supports a variety of clients and projects including statewide utility compliance programs, hydroelectric relicensing studies, as well as a wide range of CEQA and Section 106 projects. We strive to give each cultural team member a variety of work experiences and mentorship to help them grow in their career. Stantec offers a flexible work schedule to maintain a work-life balance.
Stantec is seeking numerous on-call archaeological staff reporting to either our Pasadena, Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Monrovia, San Diego, Bakersfield, Fresno, Ventura, Santa Maria, and Santa Barbara offices.
- Directly support archaeological field directors and project managers by assisting with pre-field planning, cultural surveys, and monitoring.
- Identify and record prehistoric and historic-era cultural resources, including built-environment resources.
- Conduct pedestrian surveys, test excavations, data recovery, and construction monitoring.
- Work closely with a Field Director/Supervisor to make technical recommendations for cultural resources management.
- Assist in archaeological impact assessments.
- Exhibit good field skills and work both independently and as part of a crew.
- Support construction planning.
- Depending on level of experience, you may also be responsible for management and supervision of cultural resource projects, including survey, site evaluation, and site mitigation as appropriate.
Your Credentials and Capabilities
- Willing to learn, be flexible, follow direction, use good communication skills, and be part of an interdisciplinary, fast-paced team.
- Reside within California.
- Willing and able to accommodate moderate out-of-town travel.
- Proficient in Trimble sub-meter GPS unit, or equivalent, and associated software.
- Completed archaeological field school or demonstrable equivalent training.
- Working knowledge of California Department Parks and Recreation (DPR) site forms.
- Ability to complete physically demanding tasks in remote areas and/or hot and dry climates, including walking, hiking, carrying loads up to 50 pounds, and excavation.
- Specialization in California and/or Great Basin Archaeology.
- Familiarity with field applications like Survey123, Collector, and Fulcrum.
- Good driving record and valid driver's license.
- Ability to provide written and verbal direction on project delivery.
- Strong skills in technical writing.
- Proficient computer skills including use of MS Word and Excel.
- BLM experience in California (desired, not required).
- Experience working with Native American groups (desired, not required).
- Specialization in Section 106 compliance on federal lands and California utility sector (desired, not required).
- Experience writing industry-standard archaeological reports for CEQA, Section 106, etc. (desired, not required).
- SOI-Qualified in Archaeology (desired, not required).
Your Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Anthropology or Archaeology from an accredited university
- 1-year minimum fieldwork experience in CRM
- Archaeological experience in California
- Experience working on both small and large archaeological crews
Typical office environment, working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities, and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Pay transparency laws require employers to provide the following information for positions that may be in the following jurisdiction(s):
24.13 - 33.75 (CA, CO, WA locations only)
The final agreed upon compensation is based on individual education, qualifications, experience, and work location. At Stantec certain roles are bonus eligible.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees have access to medical, dental, and vision plans, a wellness program, health saving accounts, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan, employee stock purchase program, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage and paid family leave. Regular full-time and part-time employees will receive ten paid holidays in each calendar year. In addition, employees will be eligible to accrue vacation between 10 and 20 days per year and eligible for paid sick leave (and if more generous, in accordance with state and local law).
Temporary/casual employees have access to 401(k) plans, employee stock purchase program, and paid leave, in accordance with state and local law.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : United States-California-Pasadena
Other Locations : United States-California-Monrovia, United States-California-Bakersfield, United States-California-Fresno, United States-California-Santa Maria, United States-California-San Diego, United States-California-Ventura, United States-California-Los Angeles, United States-California-Thousand Oaks, United States-California-San Bernardino, United States-California-Santa Barbara
Work Locations :
Organization : BC-1858 EnvSvcs-US West S California
Employee Status : Temporary
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : Yes, 75 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Sep 19, 2023, 11:07:39 AM
Req ID: 230003RR
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans