Responsible for designing, revising, and teaching content in biological, geological, and social sciences to educate and engage audiences of all ages. Responsibilities include the following, teaching K-12 classes, after-school youth, and/or evening and weekend adult and family programs. Oversight of the ExplorOlogy Paleo Expedition program by offering hands-on field experience to high school students. Managing the Discovery Kit programs by revising content, checking materials, handling deliveries and returns, and traveling to schools to teach students and train teachers. Participates in the hiring, training, and supervision of student assistants, interns, and volunteers. The standard work week is Monday to Friday, 8 am-5 pm, but may include evenings, weekends, and holidays. Hours must be flexible to accommodate the ExplorOlogy Paleo Expedition program schedule.
- Creates, teaches, and evaluates curricula based on collections and exhibitions. Instructs K-12 classes, after-school youth, teen, and adult programs in the of fields of biological, geological and social sciences.
- Oversees ExplorOlogy by offering a hands-on field experience to students in the summer. Includes hiring, supervision, and training of student assistants and volunteers.
- Manages and evaluates the Discovery Kit program. Teaches DK content in schools. Presents reports as needed.
- Assists with the instruction of youth camps and staffing of public programs and outreach activities.
- Creates interpretative materials used in the galleries.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Required Education: Bachelor's degree, AND:
- 12 months experience in informal education and/or science education and 6 months supervisory experience.
Equivalency/Substitution: Will accept 48 months of related experience in lieu of the Bachelor's degree for a total of 66 months of related experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Capable of public speaking as required for leading and teaching programs.
- Computer skills including word processing, simple graphic design, email, and spreadsheet data entry.
- Highly organized and able to handle multiple projects and deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
Advertised Physical Requirements:
- Ability to engage in repetitive motions. Ability to lift 15-44 lbs. Ability to stand for short or extended time periods of time
- Frequent exposure to pressure caused by deadlines and busy periods.
- May require contact with other departments and university officials.
- MS in Education
- K-12 teaching certification
- 3 years in K-12 school classroom teaching
- Experience in geology, paleontology, or anthropology
- Expertise in developing and facilitating informal science learning experiences/outdoor learning
Supervision: 2-4 student workers during camps
Special Instructions: If you are selected as a final candidate for this position, you will be subject to The University of Oklahoma Norman Campus Tuberculosis Testing policy. To view the policy, visit https://hr.ou.edu/Policies-Handbooks/TB-Testing.
Diversity Statement: The University of Oklahoma is committed to achieving a diverse, equitable, and inclusive university community by recognizing each person's unique contributions, background, and perspectives. The University of Oklahoma strives to cultivate a sense of belonging and emotional support for all, recognizing that fostering an inclusive environment for all is vital in the pursuit of academic and inclusive excellence in all aspects of our institutional mission.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: The University of Oklahoma, in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations, does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. This includes, but is not limited to, admissions, employment, financial aid, housing, services in educational programs or activities, and health care services that the University operates or provides.