On-Call Field Archaeologist
Req ID 14392 On-Call Field Archaeologist Who We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. We're looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all experiences, skillsets, backgrounds and walks of life. We actively foster a work environment and culture where inclusion and diversity is part of our fundamental structure. This is delivered behaviorally, through our policies, trainings, local partnerships with professional diverse organizations, internal networks and most importantly with the support and sponsorship of our leaders who help drive our commitment to an inclusive, diverse, welcoming and equitable work environment. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future! Our Business
We are a global leader in environmental consulting - made stronger with the recent acquisition of Wood's Environment & Infrastructure business and Golder - with world-class expertise in environmental, social and governance (ESG), climate resiliency & sustainability (CRS), and earth sciences. Combined we have over 20,000 multidisciplinary professionals worldwide collaborating daily to protect and conserve natural landscapes, create firm foundations for communities to stand on, and champion sustainable development to combat climate change.
As part of the team, you will have access to an unparalleled network of resources and endless opportunities to collaborate on exciting projects with diverse teammates from across the globe. This Opportunity
WSP is currently initiating a search for On-Call, Part-Time Field Archaeologists for our Chicago, IL office to assist with Phase I and II archaeological investigations. Will also consider candidates from states in our Midwest Region: Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Kentucky, & Michigan. Be involved in projects with our Heritage Resource Earth & Environment Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client's objectives and solves their challenges. Talent is the essence of meeting our client's objectives, goals and challenges. If this sounds like a fit for you, we'd love to have that first discussion of you joining our team. Your Impact
Who You Are Required Qualifications
- Assist with field projects during all phases of archaeological testing (primarily Phase I and II) by performing pedestrian reconnaissance, shovel tests, test unit excavation supervised by a Field Director
- Document findings through detailed note taking including Munsell soil descriptions and completing field forms
- Assist in prehistoric and historic artifact identification and document archaeological deposits
- Work as part of a team
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct and adhere to WSP's Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs
- Undergraduate degree in anthropology, archaeology, historic preservation, or related field
- Archaeological field school
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated, physically able to conduct all aspects of fieldwork in all weather conditions, and be able to follow instructions
- Localto Chicago, IL and surrounding regionis preferred. Opportunities to work in other states is possible
- This is an on-call, hourly position. Hourly rates are industry competitive ($18.00-$20.00/hour, based upon American CRM experience)
- Proven track recordof upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP's health, safety & drug/alcohol and harassment policies
#LI-BJ1 Additional Requirements
- Single occupancy hotel rooms for duration of fieldwork and paid directly by WSP
- Flat-rate meal reimbursement, unless otherwise noted for specific projects
- Travel compensation provided
- Transportation from hotel to work site provided, unless otherwise noted for specific projects
- Opportunities for full-time employment and advancement
- Benefits package includes PTO, modified holiday pay, 401K plan
- Relocation assistance is not available for this position
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individual with disabilities to perform essential job functions
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Travel Required: 90%
- Job Status: Regular
- Employee Type: Part
- Primary Location: CHICAGO - 30 N LASALLE ST
- All locations: US-IL DeKalb, US-IL-Chicago, US-IL-Lisle, US-IL-Springfield, US-IL-Woodridge, US-IN-Indianapolis, US-KY-Fort Campbell, US-KY-Fort Knox, US-KY-Hebron, US-KY-Lexington, US-KY-Louisville, US-MI-Bay City, US-MI-Detroit, US-MI-Farmington Hills, US-MI-Gladstone, US-MI-Holland, US-MI-Houghton, US-MI-Kalamazoo, US-MI-Lansing, US-MI-Novi, US-MI-Port Huron, US-MI-Traverse City, US-OH-Cincinnati, US-OH-Cleveland, US-OH-Columbus, US-OH-Lima, US-WI-Green Bay, US-WI-Madison, US-WI-Milwaukee, US-WI-Pewaukee
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 15,000 employees in over 300 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com
WSP provides a flexible and agile workplace model while meeting client needs. Employees are also afforded a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on providing health and financial stability throughout the employee's career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States. NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES:
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, employment agencies, or other staffing services. Unsolicited resumes include any resume or hiring document sent to WSP in the absence of a signed Service Agreement where WSP has expressly requested recruitment/staffing services specific to the position at hand. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers or other business leaders, will become the property of WSP and WSP will have the right to hire that candidate without reservation - no fee or other compensation will be owed or paid to the recruiter, employment agency, or other staffing service.