- Are you interested in researching and stewarding Montgomery County's past?
- Are you highly organized with a keen eye for the details?
If this sounds like you, M-NCPPC Montgomery Parks is seeking applicants for part-time employment as an Archaeology Program Assistant with the Archaeology Program within the Cultural Resources Stewardship Section.
Duties include aiding with many aspects of the program, from lab management and artifact processing, fieldwork, and occasional public programs. Main job responsibilities will include: assisting with archaeological project research, field survey, and site visits, artifact collections management, lab processing and preliminary writeups and recording. The position involves some supervision of adult volunteers and participation in a public-outreach events at sites across the County.
The position will work out of Needwood Mansion in Derwood, MD.
Very occasional night and weekend hours will be necessary. Up to 30 hours a week.
Pay rate is $16.00-$20.00 per hour, depending on experience.
Please Note: The salary range listed above represents the earning potential for this position. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Get to know Montgomery Parks and the opportunities available:https://www.montgomeryparks.org/about/divisions/
Examples of Important Duties
Example duties and responsibilities for the position include:
- artifact processing and cataloging, completion of related paperwork
- assisting with artifact collections management
- assisting with review of projects for impacts to archaeological resources on Parkland, including background research and fieldwork as needed
- creation of public displays
- representing Parks Archaeology Program at public events throughout the year
- Undergraduate degree in Anthropology, Archaeology, or a related field is required.
- Applicants need to have experience in archaeological research and field methods, archaeological record keeping, lab processing, and artifact identification for Mid-Atlantic material culture.
- Applicants must have excellent communication and organizational skills and be able to work independently. The successful candidate will be willing and able to work with a wide range of staff and public audiences, engage with topics of cultural heritage, instruct others in archaeological techniques, and take direction from staff.
- Ability to work outdoors in a range of conditions and lift up to 40lbs is required.
- Applicants must have proficiency with standard computer programs such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Also must be able to achieve First Aid/CPR certification (training provided for First Aid/CPR).
- Have a valid driver's license.
- Proficiency with research, artifact analysis, and writing.
- Experience with GIS, databases, or similar programs.
- Experience with development review and site assessments.
This position does not provide benefits.
A criminal background investigation will be completed prior to hire.
DIVERSITY STATEMENT:Montgomery County Department of Parks believes that diversity in all dimensions of the organization supports and bolsters the innovative thinking essential to its success. Montgomery County Parks does not make hiring decisions on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion, political affiliation, ideology or status as a Veteran.