Work with Us. Change the World.
At AECOM, we're delivering a better world. Whether improving your commute, keeping the lights on, providing access to clean water, or transforming skylines, our work helps people and communities thrive. We are the world's trusted infrastructure consulting firm, partnering with clients to solve the world's most complex challenges and build legacies for future generations.
There has never been a better time to be at AECOM. With accelerating infrastructure investment worldwide, our services are in great demand. We invite you to bring your bold ideas and big dreams and become part of a global team of nearly 50,000 planners, designers, engineers, scientists, digital innovators, program and construction managers and other professionals delivering projects that create a positive and tangible impact around the world.
We're one global team driven by our common purpose to deliver a better world. Join us.
AECOM is seeking an Archaeologist to be based in our Portland, OR office. This position will support our Environmental Planning & Permitting group within our Environment business line.
This full-time position is expected to begin October 2023.
AECOM is seeking an Archaeologist to support our Environmental Planning & Permitting group in Portland, Oregon.
Job Responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Performs archaeological fieldwork, laboratory analysis, and documentation and is well versed in standard archaeological techniques including the excavation of shovel test pits and test units for all phases of archaeological investigations.
- Serves as a Crew Chief and has experience in directing field crews under the guidance of the Field Director and Principal Investigator including scheduling field tasks and instructing others in the use of equipment, technology, and field methods.
- Performs manual labor including excavation with shovels and moving wheelbarrows filled with dirt.
- Has ability to perform bending, kneeling, standing, and lifting and carrying objects and have a tolerance for working in outdoor environments, including prolonged walking or standing on various terrain in a wide range of weather conditions.
- Assist in the research for archaeological projects including utilizing GIS, site records, and other data sources.
- Keep records and maintain the relevant State Historic Preservation Officer (SHPO) documentation pertaining to cultural resources.
- Collects information and makes judgments through observation, interviews, and the review of documents.
- Assists with the writing of archaeological reports and/or prepare archaeological site forms.
- Works with the technical field, lab and office staff, managers and administrative staff to ensure that projects meet AECOM quality standards.
- Bachelor's Degree in Archaeology or related field of study
- Valid U.S. Driver's License
- Completion of a university-based archaeological field school.
- 1+ years of experience in related role (e.g., Senior Field Technician).
- Willingness/ability to travel to job sites as needed.
- Experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Global Positioning System (GPS), Total Station, Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop, Statistical Analysis (ex., SAS or SPSS).
- Demonstrated experience writing portions of technical reports.
- Relevant field experience in the Pacific Northwest.
- Meets the Secretary of the Interior Professional Qualification Standards for Archeology.
- MA or MS in Anthropology or related field.
- Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
- Travel is required for this position. Candidates will be asked to submit to a Motor Vehicle Record screening upon hire.
- This position does not include sponsorship for United States work authorization.
- This position requires a hybrid/remote work schedule which includes in office work in Portland,OR. The selected candidate must be available to work in Portland,OR on a scheduled basis.
- All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
AECOM is the world's trusted infrastructure consulting firm, delivering professional services throughout the project lifecycle - from advisory, planning, design and engineering to program and construction management. On projects spanning transportation, buildings, water, new energy and the environment, our public- and private-sector clients trust us to solve their most complex challenges. Our teams are driven by a common purpose to deliver a better world through our unrivaled technical and digital expertise, a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion, and a commitment to environmental, social and governance priorities. AECOM is a Fortune 500 firm and its Professional Services business had revenue of $13.1 billion in fiscal year 2022. See how we are delivering sustainable legacies for generations to come at aecom.com and @AECOM.
Freedom to Grow in a World of Opportunity
You will have the flexibility you need to do your best work with hybrid work options. Whether you're working from an AECOM office, remote location or at a client site, you will be working in a dynamic environment where your integrity, entrepreneurial spirit and pioneering mindset are championed.
You will help us foster a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion - a safe and respectful workplace, where we invite everyone to bring their whole selves to work using their unique talents, backgrounds and expertise to create transformational outcomes for our clients.
AECOM provides a wide array of compensation and benefits programs to meet the diverse needs of our employees and their families. We also provide a robust global well-being program. We're the world's trusted global infrastructure firm, and we're in this together - your growth and success are ours too.
Join us, and you'll get all the benefits of being a part of a global, publicly traded firm - access to industry-leading technology and thinking and transformational work with big impact and work flexibility. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Business Line: Environment
Business Group: DCS
Strategic Business Unit: West
Career Area: Science
Work Location Model: Hybrid