The American Museum of Natural History (AMNH) in New York City is one of the premier science research and cultural institutions in the country. The American Museum of Natural History is seeking an experienced part-time Educator to perform a variety of teaching and program design responsibilities as a part of the Children and Family Learning (CFL) division of the Department of Education. Responsible for a variety of programs that serve children of ages 2-10 and their caregivers, the CFL division oversees the administration of summer camp programming, after school events, multi-year science enrichment programs, large-scale family outreach festivals, and the Museum's Discovery Room exhibit when needed.
The Educator will deliver informal science programming spanning a wide variety of physical and natural science topics and in a range of learning environments. Teaching in after-school, weekend, and camp programs as needed, the Educator must rely on adaptive teaching styles that respond to the needs of a diverse cross-section of program participants and integrate assets of the Museum (e.g using Museum Halls and collections to support learning).
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Teach across CFL programs in preK-5th grade classes and family events and covering a broad range of scientific fields such as Biology, Earth Science, Anthropology, Paleontology, and Astrophysics. Provide teaching assistance to other teachers in similar classes, as needed.
- Collaborate with other educators and program managers to plan and test activities, set up for classes, gather teaching specimens and equipment, prepare activity materials, and clean-up after programming.
- Collaborate successfully with parents and families to support learning goals for all programs.
- Support and collaborate with colleagues and staff of Children and Family Learning, AMNH Education and across the Museum to create a robust community of practice.
- Assist with classroom and learning environment upkeep and maintenance and participate in routine husbandry tasks for the CFL live animal collection, as needed.
- Must be available for occasional weekend work.
The expected salary for the Educator, Children and Family Learning is $38.54 per hour.
Pay will be determined on several factors. The hiring range for the position at commencement is based on the type of work and the scope of responsibilities. The salary and placement offered is based on a number of individualized factors, including, but not limited to, skills, knowledge, training, education, credentials, areas of specialization and depth and scope of experience