Chronicle Heritage is seeking Archaeological Field Technicians for upcoming projects throughout Mississippi for the 2023 field season. The role will assist the Field Director and Project Team in completing archaeological pedestrian surveys, testing and data recovery excavations, construction monitoring, and other field or office tasks. Preference will be given to local candidates. When applicable, per diem ($55/day) and lodging will be provided.
Hire Type: Hourly, as needed
Schedule: Availability to work full-time, as needed
Location: Field-based, Mississippi
- Bachelor’s degree in archaeology, anthropology, or a closely related field
- Successful completion of an archaeology field school or have demonstrated equivalent experience
- Ability to complete physically demanding tasks in remote areas and/or austere environments, including walking, hiking, carrying loads up to 30 pounds, digging, and standing for long hours
- Frequent out-of-town travel, potentially for extended periods of time; potential camping (when local lodging unavailable)
- Valid driver’s license
- Experience performing pedestrian surveys and excavating shovel test units
- Experience monitoring, testing, and conducting data recovery excavations
- Demonstrate excellent attention to detail, a positive work ethic, reliability, and commitment to working both independently and in a team environment
- Previous experience with mapping equipment and other special application equipment (e.g., total station, GPS, tablets, etc.)
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Detail oriented, resourceful, self-motivated, strong initiative
- Strong technical skills, good communication skills, and feel comfortable making decisions in the field
- Positive and energetic attitude
Chronicle Heritage participates in E-Verify to ensure all staff are authorized to work in the United States. Chronicle Heritage is also an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer that provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
We encourage women, minorities, and members of the LGBTQIA+ community to apply.