Staff Archaeologist - ( 2300036W )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec is seeking an energetic, self-motivated, team-oriented, and resourceful Staff Archaeologist to join our team based out of Austin, Houston, or San Antonio, Texas. This is a career opportunity for an archaeologist to support growth for an existing cultural resources team for a leading environmental consulting firm. This team provides Section 106/NEPA analysis, technical studies, and project permitting for a wide variety of private and federal, state, and local government clients in Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and surrounding states.
Your role will be to conduct primary research, complete analyses, contribute to report production, and provide general administrative support as assigned to block surveys, evaluation projects, or data recovery efforts.
You will assist with task management, proposal writing and budgeting, conduct archaeological field surveys and monitoring during construction, supervise field support staff, conduct desk analysis of cultural resources, and prepare reports as required. This position requires the ability to work outdoors in remote locations and for extended periods under all weather conditions, often traversing rugged terrain, demonstrating awareness for workplace safety; and ability to work independently when conditions are appropriate or with limited supervision.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Supervising technicians, crew chiefs, project archaeologists, and other technical staff
- Conducting archival research
- Recording archaeological and historic resources in the field independently
- Supporting and conducting client, resource agency, and landowner/land agent coordination
- Preparing and supporting the preparation of documents such as background studies, agency coordination letters, National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) Section 106 consultation, National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) document sections, and technical reports; curating archaeological materials and field records at state and federal repositories; providing direction in field protocols and safety considerations
- Performing real-time quality control on project documentation
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Archaeological field experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to get along with a diverse, multidisciplinary team
- Excellent time-management skills to deal with overlapping deadlines
- Good driving record and valid driver's license required
- Ideal Qualifications include all the above, plus any of the following:
- Permitted by Bureau of Land Management
- Registered Professional Archaeologist (RPA) designation
- Previous state Department of Transportation (DOT) project experience
- Experience with relevant state datasets (e.g., Louisiana Division of Archaeology Cultural Resources Map, Eligibility Database, Excavated Sites Database, C14 Database; Texas Archeological Sites Atlas and site files; Oklahoma Archeological Survey files; and other relevant states)
- Experience with a range of Global Positioning System (GPS) equipment
- Experience with tablet applications and resource databases (e.g., ESRI FieldMaps, Survey 1-2-3, Filemaker Pro)
- Experience with geoarchaeological assessments and/or soil science
- Experience with drone photography and digital photogrammetry (e.g., Structure from Motion)
- Experience supporting architectural historians in recordation of standing buildings/structures
- Other specialized analytical expertise (bioarchaeology, geophysics, ceramics, lithics, fauna, etc.)
- Working knowledge of the National Register of Historic Places, including eligibility criteria and aspects of integrity
- Experience with proposals and business development
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in archaeology, anthropology, history, historic preservation, or a closely related field; graduate degree preferred
- Completion of recognized archaeological field school
- Minimum 2 years of archaeological field experience, ideally in a cultural resources management (CRM) consulting context
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees have access to medical, dental, and vision plans, a wellness program, health saving accounts, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan, employee stock purchase program, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage and paid family leave. Regular full-time and part-time employees will receive ten paid holidays in each calendar year. In addition, employees will be eligible to accrue vacation between 10 and 20 days per year and eligible for paid sick leave (and if more generous, in accordance with state and local law).
Temporary/casual employees have access to 401(k) plans, employee stock purchase program, and paid leave, in accordance with state and local law.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : United States-Texas-Houston
Other Locations : United States-Texas-Austin
Work Locations :
Houston Barkers Landing Rd TX
Organization : BC-2353 EnvSvcs-US Gulf West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 20 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Sep 13, 2023, 5:04:00 AM
Req ID: 2300036W
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans