Archaeology Technician - ( 230000MZ )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We are a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that is critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec is seeking temporary/on-call Archaeological Field Technicians to assist with several projects in the Mid-Atlantic region (primarily Virginia but also North Carolina) with additional work possible in surrounding states. Immediate work available with the potential for additional work on a project-by-project basis thereafter. The successful applicant will be responsible for executing field related tasks under the supervision of a Project Archaeologist and Crew Chief. This position requires extensive travel with frequent overnight stays. We offer individual occupancy hotel rooms with per diem (frequently receipt based by contract requirement) based on the appropriate GSA rate for the project region.
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Assist in archaeological field surveys utilizing a variety of field methodologies, including archaeological survey, testing, excavation, surface collection, and monitoring.
- Recording and evaluating soils using color (Munsell), texture, and inclusions; Orienteering using a compass USGS topographic maps, plan maps, iPads enabled with GPS location services and supplemented by a Trimble R1 GPS receiver, and photography.
- Experience with digital data collection via ESRI's Field Maps app for ArcGIS is an asset.
- Assist with setting up a site grid, datum, and excavations units; Mapping site plans and individual shovel tests, units, and features in plan and profile.
- Identifying historic and prehistoric artifacts following standard collection procedures.
- Identifying cultural features.
- Cleaning and preparing site surfaces for mapping and photography.
- Manage field equipment.
- Serving as laboratory assistant when work is available indoors.
Your Qualifications and Credentials
- Interest in and knowledge of cultural resource management and archaeological methods for survey, assessment, and excavation.
- Adaptability and willingness to work as part of a team and independently.
- Ability and willingness to work under varied weather conditions.
- Ability to walk and conduct fieldwork for long hours through sometimes rugged terrain and ability to carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 40 pounds is required.
- Bachelor's degree in archaeology/anthropology or closely related field preferred.
- At least 1 season of a field school or supervised field experience preferred.
- Archaeological field experience in Virginia or Mid-Atlantic preferred.
- Dedicated to following and promoting a strong safety culture; Industry-specific safety training certificates is an asset.
- Valid driver's license required and good driving record.
- Prior to employment with Stantec this position will require the successful completion of a background check, along with drug and alcohol screening.
- Extensive travel required.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees have access to medical, dental, and vision plans, a wellness program, health saving accounts, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan, employee stock purchase program, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage and paid family leave. Regular full-time and part-time employees will receive ten paid holidays in each calendar year. In addition, employees will be eligible to accrue vacation between 10 and 20 days per year and eligible for paid sick leave (and if more generous, in accordance with state and local law).
Temporary/casual employees have access to 401(k) plans, employee stock purchase program, and paid leave, in accordance with state and local law.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : United States-Virginia-Richmond
Other Locations : United States-Maryland-Laurel, United States-Virginia-Fredericksburg, United States-Virginia-Williamsburg
Organization : BC-2034 EnvSvcs-US East Mid Atlantic
Employee Status : Temporary
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : Yes, 50 % of the Time
Schedule : Part-time
Job Posting : Feb 9, 2023, 9:55:30 PM
Req ID: 230000MZ
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans