About the opportunity
SWCA Environmental Consultants is seeking an Associate/Project Archaeologist for our Sacramento, California office. Under the supervision of a Project Manager, you will perform field, office, and research tasks while working with and supervising crew members. This position will primarily be office-based, with some fieldwork required.
Your role will be to assist with the planning and execution of field studies related to renewable energy, state and local transportation and land development.
This position is available at the below levels and title will be based on years of relevant experience or expertise:
- Associate Project Archaeologist - typically at least 5 years of related experience or expertise
- Project Archaeologist - typically at least 7 years of related experience or expertise
What you will accomplish
- Following a standardized procedure, conduct archaeological desktop studies, including review of background data, project information, archaeological sensitivity, and land ownership.
- Conduct data QA/QC, organization, and tracking; collect field data using tablets and geodes.
- Supervise fieldwork, including archaeological survey, testing, data recovery, and/or construction monitoring and ensure quality and completeness of data collected.
- Prepare professional reports and site forms, conduct research and literature reviews.
- Takes initiative, resolve problems, and create improved procedures to ensure that tasks are completed in the most effective and efficient manner.
- Maintain SWCA's high standard of scientific ethics and quality assurance, and is motivated to identify and resolve problems in creative ways.
- Work independently, and work well with others as part of a team.
Experience and qualifications for success
- A Bachelor's Degree in Archaeology, Anthropology or a closely related field.
- Minimum of five to seven years of field experience working as a field archaeologist.
- Participation in an accredited field school or equivalent experience.
- Experience with the application of standard archaeological survey and excavation techniques.
- Proficient with industry standard word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Experience in preparing technical reports.
- Master's Degree in a related field.
- Experience providing QA/QC review of field documents, site forms and reports.
- Experience leading crews of field technicians on a variety of project types and sizes, across regions, and with various agencies.
- Valid Driver's License in good standing.
- Ability to travel and conduct fieldwork for long hours (sometimes in inclement weather and rugged terrain) and able to carry equipment weighing up to 40 pounds.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record's Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email email@example.com or call 480-581-5378. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
SWCA is committed to salary equity and salary transparency for all its employees. In alignment with this commitment, SWCA posts good faith pay ranges in all its advertised job postings to promote pay equity and transparency.
An employee in this Sacramento, California based position can expect an hourly rate of $32.63/hr.-$41.63/hr. for the Associate Project Archaeologist level. The Project Archaeologist role is salaried and an employee at this level can expect an annual range of $75,465-$96,525/year. Actual pay within this range may depend on experience, qualifications, geographic location, client requirements where applicable, and other factors permitted by law. Regular-status employees are also eligible for performance bonuses. Candidates are also encouraged to consider SWCA's Total Rewards package, which includes a competitive Benefits package, forward-thinking workplace flexibility, outstanding corporate culture, award-winning career development, and more.