Project Archeologist or Crew Chief to work in our Austin, TX office under the direction of the Archeology Team Leader. This is a full-time position with benefits.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Follow safety rules, guidelines and standards for all projects. Participate in pre-task planning. Report any safety issues or concerns to management
- Be responsible for maintaining quality standards on all projects
- Contribute to and participate in project planning for archaeological investigations of all types (pre-contact, historic, industrial, rural, urban) and phases (survey, evaluation, mitigation) located in Texas and adjacent areas and regions, as assigned
- Experience with ArcGIS and digital field recording tools and platforms
- Support other non-archeological Environmental Planning projects, tasks, and activities as assigned
- Conduct independent pre-contact and historic documentary research
- Contribute to proposals, methodologies, and research designs for all types and phases of archaeological projects
- Maintain and provide QA/QC on field documentation and paperwork.
- Oversees work performed by field and laboratory technicians under the direction of a Principal Investigator or Senior Archaeologist
- Over time, this position will come with opportunities to manage projects according to Terracon's Project Manager standards and expectations
- Working knowledge of Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act and the Antiquities Code of Texas
- Membership in statewide professional associations such as the Council of Texas Archeologists, and/or other evidence of professional engagement in the larger community
- Previous experience with and understanding of curation procedures and requirements according to standards within Texas
- Support the marketing of our archaeological services to new and existing clients
- Experience and technical familiarity with at least one artifact category commonly encountered in Texas and/or surrounding region(s)
- Bachelor's Degree in Anthropology or closely related field required
- Master's degree preferred
- Experience with writing technical reports that meet and exceed regulatory requirements and standards in Texas
- One to three (1-3) years of previous professional archeological fieldwork experience, including experience at a supervisory level (crew chief, technical lead, or Principal Investigator) in Texas and/or adjacent states and regions
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely using both written and verbal skills
- Ability to multi-task within flexible/fluid schedules and project needs
- Ability to perform physically demanding tasks such as lifting, and walking on uneven surfaces carrying at least 20 lbs. of equipment, and ability to work in extreme (hot/cold) weather conditions
- Eligibility to work in the United States without sponsorship
- Ability to travel for overnight (including multiple days away) work assignments
- Ability to pass drug screening
- Possession of a U.S. driver's license, with acceptable violation history
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned multidiscipline consulting firm comprised of more than 6,000 curious minds focused on solving engineering and technical challenges from more than 175 locations nationwide. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon's growth is due to our talented employee-owners exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon's vision of "Together, we are best at people" is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.