Assistant Professor, Religious Studies
- NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
- Singapore (SG)
- Closing date
- Jul 26, 2023
- Position Type
- Cultural Anthropology
- Full Time
- Area Studies, Asian Studies, Religious Studies
- Organization Type
The Department of Southeast Asian Studies at the National University of Singapore invites applications for a tenure-track position at the level of Assistant Professor in Religious Studies, beginning August 2024. We are particularly interested in recruiting a scholar who will enjoy the opportunity of working collaboratively in an area studies department.
We seek a scholar who specialises in Buddhism and/or Christianity and has knowledge of other major religions. The regional focus of the position is Mainland Southeast Asia. The disciplinary focus is wide, as we are particularly interested in applicants whose research and teaching are multi- or inter-disciplinary. In particular, we welcome applicants who have a secondary specialisation in one or more of the following fields: gender and sexuality, media and digital studies, science and technology, and urban studies.
Candidates must demonstrate excellence in teaching, as well as a very strong publication record.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- be the Convenor of the Minor in Religious Studies;
- teach courses in our undergraduate and graduate programmes in their areas of specialization, and
- engage in an active and innovative research agenda.
Candidates should have expertise in Southeast Asian languages relevant to their research. The standard teaching load is three modules (courses) per academic year, with an expectation that the successful candidate will also advise students.
Interested applicants should submit an application dossier consisting of the following:
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the position and how your qualifications and plans fit into the long-term development and enhancement of the Department of Southeast Asian Studies (maximum 2 pages)
- Up to date Curriculum vitae
- Concise statement of your research trajectory thus far and publication plans (1-2 pages)
- Concise statement of your teaching experience and interests, as well as possible courses you are able to offer to raise the profile of the department (1-2 pages)
- Concise statement describing your personal qualities and experience in collaborative and leadership roles in academic projects and community engagements (1-2 pages)
- Evidence of teaching experience (course reviews, sample syllabi, teaching awards)
- A list of three referees (names, contact details and applicant’s relationship to them; only shortlisted applicants will be invited to submit reference letters)
Candidates should submit all application materials online via the NUS Careers Portal and addressed to:
Chair, Search Committee
Department of Southeast Asian Studies
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
National University of Singapore
Candidates should submit all application materials by 15 July 2023. We will begin evaluating candidates immediately, but the position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Remuneration will be internationally competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The successful candidate may also enjoy housing benefits, relocation allowance, and other benefits depending on the type and duration of appointment and citizenship.
Contact for Enquiries
Potential candidates are welcome to get in touch with the Chair of the Search Committee to answer any questions they may have at firstname.lastname@example.org
A leading global university centred in Asia, the National University of Singapore is a leader of scientific and social scientific research in the city-state of Singapore. Its transformative education includes a broad-based curriculum underscored by multi-disciplinary courses and cross-faculty enrichment, as well as special programmes which allow students to realise their potential. Over 30,000 students from 100 countries further enrich the community with their diverse social and cultural perspectives, making campus life vibrant and exciting.The Department of Sociology offers Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral degrees in Social Sciences and contributes to interdisciplinary programmes in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. The Department stands among the top sociology departments in Asia, and specializes in sociological and anthropological research on Asian societies. We have about thirty faculty members in diverse fields such as family, demography, stratification, medical sociology, comparative-historical sociology, socio-cultural anthropology, and cultural studies. The Department attracts graduate students internationally and we have a rapidly developing postgraduate programme in which students have the option to complete a Ph.D. in either Sociology or Anthropology. (http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/soc/)
The following information is provided by the employer in accordance with AAA policy. AAA is not responsible for verifying the accuracy of these statements. They are not part of the actual position description submitted for publication by the employer.
- This employer does prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation/preference.
- This employer does prohibit discrimination based on gender identity/expression.
- This employer does offer health insurance benefits to eligible partners.
- This employer does not appear on the AAUP list of censured institutions.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert