Institute for the Future in Palo Alto, CA seeks: Research Manager, Emerging Media Lab:
As a research leader responsible for managing research and prototyping lab that studies the impact of media technologies on the future of human communication and collaboration in business, education, healthcare and society at large; conducting research into emerging technologies; writing and presenting of forecasts and signals; aggregating research data, outreach and communication with clients and task teams; and serving as a production liaison on a variety of EML projects; implementing annual research plans and providing marketing direction for the EML. Duties include:
- Managing ethnographic studies of new types of human communities that are forming in virtual and online technology platforms.
- Researching, analyzing and reporting, on trends in user behavior and development to assist the IFTF community in assembling insights, policy and products that take into account emergent social behaviors and cultural dynamics.
- Researching impact of emerging communication technologies on new patterns in human social linguistic development.
- Researching the impact of emerging communication and collaboration tools and platforms on existing institutional culture and practices as well as new forms of human organization.
- Managing technology prototyping projects to experiment with media technologies and platforms.
- Supervising user research studies to understand and interpret individual and group behaviors impacted by developments in media technology.
- Following and tracking signals, trends, disruptions, and driving forces in emerging technologies.
- Researching new types of content forms and the emerging marketplaces of ideas enabled by collaborative media platforms.
- Liaison between partners and community to disseminate, interpret and EML research insights. This includes writing and presenting forecasts for clients as well as external experts and institutions.
- Developing partnerships to enable research collaborations with industry, government and non-profit organizations.
Some travel in the United States and overseas may be required.
SALARY: $103,000 - $105,000.
HOW TO APPLY: Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.