The next Executive Director of the American Anthropological Association will have an exciting and pivotal opportunity to help build AAA into its next phase of dynamic growth and impact. The Executive Director, an energizing, innovative, and entrepreneurial leader, provides overall vision, leadership, and operational direction to AAA’s membership programs and initiatives. The Executive Director reports to AAA’s 17-member Executive Board and serves as an ex-officio non-voting member on all association boards and committees. The Executive Director will advise and inform the Executive Board on strategic issues affecting AAA and will work closely with the Board to ensure AAA’s vitality, sustainability, and continued success with its global membership. The Executive Director manages a $7 million budget, a talented team of 25 association professionals, and 80 contracted service providers. This position will be based at AAA’s headquarters in Arlington, Virginia.
- At least seven to ten years of successful senior-level leadership experience in a complex multifaceted organization, such as a national association or a comparable multi-stakeholder institution.
- Successful experience in empowering, building, and maintaining productive relationships with complex boards, committees, and other volunteer leaders.
- Recognized success and a track record of increase revenue streams and exceeding goals and objectives, along with evidence of successfully marketing and growing an organization.
- Experience with a variety of publishing and meeting environments in associations, with a familiarity with disciplined-based scholarly publications, meetings, and conferences.
- Strong business and financial acumen, budgetary and financial forecasting skills, including an ability to manage and interpret vendor contracts, service agreements, and other legal documents.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $290,000-$310,000. Benefits include medical and dental insurance (100% paid for single coverage); employer-paid life, AD&D, and short- and long-term disability insurance; a generous pension plan and a 401(k) plan; generous paid time off; 12 paid holidays including the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day off with pay; Employee Wellness Program; Employee Assistance Program; Flexible Benefits Plan; commuting reimbursement; a relaxed, healthy, joyful work environment; and a flexible, hybrid workplace. A generous relocation package will be provided for the successful candidate.
AAA has retained Campbell & Company to conduct this search. A full position guide and instructions on how to apply can be viewed here.