DePauw University is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer: Women, members of underrepresented groups, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
All employees of DePauw University must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or request a religious, medical, or philosophical exemption.
Position will remain open until filled.
Please go to University Profile for more information about DePauw.
The Administrative Assistant provides general administrative support for the chairs, directors and faculty of the Sociology and Anthropology, Political Science, Philosophy, and Classical Studies Departments and Africana Studies and Latin American and Caribbean Studies Programs. Work is to be prioritized by or in consultation with the department chairs and program directors.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Provide general administrative support, including answering and routing calls; greeting visitors and students and referring them to appropriate offices; conducting general filing and record keeping; preparing, copying and distributing correspondence and other paperwork; maintaining department calendars, rosters, and directories; coordinating supplies and maintenance for office equipment and department facilities as needed, etc.
- Track and monitor departmental and program budgets as assigned and make department chair(s) or other budget managers aware of budget balances and discrepancies.
- Assist with accounting matters, including reconciling commercial credit card(s), requisitioning payments, and billing student accounts for miscellaneous classroom purchases.
- Track and order office and laboratory supplies as requested.
- Coordinate arrangements for guest speakers or other departmental events including preparing and posting invitations/announcements, reserving rooms, arranging meals/catering, ordering audio/visual equipment, assisting visitors with travel arrangements, and requesting expense reimbursements/honoraria as needed.
- Coordinate activities related to faculty searches including coordinating interview schedules and itineraries, making logistical arrangements for meetings, assisting with accommodations and travel, etc.
- Assist with preparation of the Schedule of Classes.
- Maintain and add content to department/program web sites as directed.
- Hire, schedule and supervise student employees, and approve their timecards.
- Provide support for courses as requested, including scanning/copying and uploading course materials, assisting with/troubleshooting classroom logistics, and making arrangements for student field trips, etc.
- Provide general assistance for/to student organizations affiliated with the departments.
- Maintain security and confidentiality of information in accordance with all applicable policies and laws.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Accuracy -- Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- Adaptability -- Ability to adapt to change in the workplace.
- Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Communication, Written - Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely.
- Customer Oriented - Ability to take care of customers' needs while following University procedures.
- Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Diversity Oriented - Commitment to valuing a variety of different experiences, encouraging input and collaboration from campus stakeholders, including being mindful of experiences related, but not limited to: age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, socio-economic status, LGBTQ, and/or job type.
- Interpersonal - Ability to get along well with a variety of personalities and individuals.
- Judgment - The ability to formulate a sound decision using the available information.
- Organized - Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
- Problem Solving - Ability to find a solution for or to deal proactively with work-related problems.
- Relationship Building - Ability to effectively build relationships with customers and co-workers.
- Self-Motivated - Ability to be internally inspired to perform a task to the best of one's ability using his or her own drive or initiative.
- Time Management - Ability to utilize the available time to organize and complete work within given deadlines.
full-timeBenefit EligibleCover Letter
ResumeJan 27, 2023
Education: High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED) required.
Experience: At least two years of related administrative experience; experience in higher education or other educational institution preferred.
Computer Skills: Advanced experience in Microsoft Office products with emphasis in Word and Excel required; experience with web research and editing preferred. Willingness and ability to learn University-specific and discipline-specific software required.
Communication/Language: Basic: Ability to read, listen to and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write and communicate simple correspondence.
Math Ability: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Other Requirements: Ability to work independently and with frequent interruptions. Basic math skills required.