- CURRENT PENN STATE EMPLOYEE (faculty, staff, technical service, or student), please login to Workday to complete the internal application process. Please do not apply here, apply internally through Workday.
- CURRENT PENN STATE STUDENT (not employed previously at the university) and seeking employment with Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the student application process. Please do not apply here, apply internally through Workday.
- If you are NOT a current employee or student, please click "Apply" and complete the application process for external applicants.
AND POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
The Department of Anthropology in the College of the Liberal Arts invites applications for an Administrative Support Coordinator 5 to contribute to, manage, and oversee administrative support activities and operations of the Department. As one of the top anthropology departments in the country, the Penn State Department of Anthropology is an exciting, active, and multifaceted academic unit with multiple undergraduate and graduate degrees, a leading international research program, a strong online World Campus portfolio, and faculty and students who conduct collaborative research with multiple units across Penn State and in locations around the world.
The Administrative Support Coordinator 5 (ASC) works closely with and assists the Department Head or their designate in the administration of the Department through strategic planning, development and management of departmental budgets, and the performance of other complex and confidential administrative duties and responsibilities.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Directing, supervising, and evaluating the work of the Department of Anthropology's administrative support staff, along with implementing and maintaining office management procedures
- Assisting in the management of the Department's finances and budgets: maintaining accountability for all budget expenditures, approving financial transactions, and working closely with the Department Head in forecasting and developing budgets
- Working closely with faculty members to manage research grant budgets to ensure compliance with funding agency requirements and University research policies; assisting in the preparation of grant proposal budgets in coordination with the College research office
- Acting as liaison with various College and University offices, including Human Resources, Research and Graduate Studies, Filippelli Institute for e-Education and Outreach, Strategic Communications, and the College's Alumni Relations and Development
- Overseeing staff work involving employment and financial activities; this can include the Department's search and hiring processes, managing grants, and processing scholarship awards for students
- Overseeing staff work related to educational programs, events, and daily activities (such as the graduate program, course scheduling, and curriculum proposal processes)
- Working with the administrative team to establish workplace norms that promote excellent customer service
The ASC will frequently use the following software and applications: Microsoft Office 365, as well as those specific to Penn State: Workday/WorkLion (central resource for HR services, payroll, attendance, etc.), iStart (immigration management system), Employee Reimbursement System (ERS), and SIMBA (System for Integrated Management, Budgeting, and Accounting).
Education and Experience: This position typically requires an Associate's degree or higher plus five years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Additional qualifications include:
- Excellent leadership, communication, time management, and people management skills
- Demonstrate a genuine appreciation for working with diverse audiences
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a management team
- Detailed-oriented and driven to provide excellent customer service
- Outstanding organization skills
- Demonstrated ability to be proactive and take initiative
- Ability to exercise discretion and judgment when handling confidential and sensitive documents and matters
In addition, successful candidates must either have demonstrated a commitment to building an inclusive, equitable, and diverse campus community, or describe one or more ways they would envision doing so, given the opportunity.
Penn State is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusion that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value inclusion as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission.
Additional Information: For full consideration, applicants must include a cover letter and resume with their application. Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The College of the Liberal Arts is supportive of flexible work arrangements when aligned with the ability to meet the needs of the unit and the essential duties of the position. Questions related to flexible work should be directed to the hiring manager during the interview process.
Penn State offers competitive benefits to full-time employees, including medical, dental, vision, tuition discounts, and retirement plans, in addition to generous vacation time, sick time, and paid holidays. Please visit https://hr.psu.edu/benefits for more detailed information.
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act and the Pennsylvania Act of 1988, Penn State publishes a combined Annual Security and Annual Fire Safety Report (ASR). The ASR includes crime statistics and institutional policies concerning campus security, such as those concerning alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters. The ASR is available for review here.
Employment with the University will require successful completion of background check(s) in accordance with University policies.
EEO IS THE LAW
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applications without regards to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you are unable to use our online application process due to an impairment or disability, please contact 814-865-1473.
Federal Contractors Labor Law Poster
PA State Labor Law Poster
Penn State Covid-19 Vaccination or Testing Requirements
Penn State is committed to the health of our local and global communities. As a condition of employment, all employees are required to comply with COVID-19 vaccination or testing requirements. Click on Penn State Covid-19 Vaccination or Testing Requirements to learn about the requirements as well as general COVID-19 information at Penn State.
Penn State Policies
University Park, PA