The German American Heritage Center & Museum is seeking to fill the full-time position of Executive Director. The Executive Director will have a well-rounded set of competencies as a resourceful and creative museum professional who values collaboration. A visionary leader with the ability to set, pursue, and achieve goals in a timely manner, the Executive Director will have excellent communication skill and a passion for the unique mission and impact of the GAHC&M.
- With the Board of Directors, establish and implement strategic plan.
- Manage strategic goals within board committees and integrate staff in strategy.
- Provide both support and leadership to the Board of Directors.
Financial Management & Fundraising:
- Establish the annual budget and provide accurate and timely financial reports to the Board of Directors.
- Manage and grow endowment accounts.
- Develop and implement strategic and tactical annual fundraising goals and plans with objectives, timelines and evaluation plans including grants, annual campaigns, online campaigns, sponsorships, major gifts, and major fundraising events.
- Utilize development database for comprehensive analysis of the annual fundraising.
- Support a culture of philanthropy through recognition and stewardship of donors, develop and sustain relationships with members, and cultivate new donors.
- Conceptualize, develop, and produce successful proposals for foundations and governmental grants.
Human Resources & Administration:
- Hire all staff members based on fair hiring practices and regulations.
- Review each staff member on a regular basis and establish yearly and quarterly goals.
- When necessary, restructure staff positions according to budget and financial conditions or to better achieve the goals and mission of the organization.
- Ensure that the necessary organizational structure, policies, systems controls, and procedures are in place and regularly reviewed for effectiveness.
- Institute new technologies throughout the organization.
Community Relations & Marketing:
- Initiate collaborative projects with community organizations to build positive awareness and fruitful relationships throughout the region.
- Collaborate with cultural and educational institutions, community partners; utilize networks within the Quad Cities, Midwest, and nationally.
- Represent the organization at public events and conferences.
- Implement outreach strategies and develop a marketing plan that promotes and maintains the organization's brand identity in conjunction with the Marketing Committee.
- Direct marketing and social media content, serve as media representative.
- Write and edit quarterly news magazine the Infoblatt.
Board & Volunteer Relations:
- Help identify community members appropriate for board service, introduce potential board members to the organization, and orient each newly elected board member.
- With staff members, recruit volunteers for appropriate positions within the organization.
Exhibitions, Collections, Education, and Preservation:
- Create and maintain standards of excellence for all collections, exhibitions, education, and preservation of the historic structure.
- Guide creation of interactive content for exhibition.
- Direct multi-year exhibition and programming content.
- Guide collections policies with archivist.
- Implement evaluation procedures for museum visitorship and tracking engagement.
- Manage the proper care, restoration, and maintenance of the facilities.
Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
SALARY & BENEFITS
$60,000-$65,000 annual salary range. Paid vacation time. Flexible schedule.
MINIMUM POSITION QUALIFICATIONS
Education: This position requires a minimum of a bachelor's degree in History, German, Art History, Anthropology, Education, Museum Studies or a closely related field. Master's degree preferred. Experience: 5-7 years prior experience in a museum is preferred. Certifications/Licenses: Must possess a valid driver's license.
Other Requirements: Fundraising experience, excellent donor relations skills, and understanding of the funding community are necessary. Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making, and reporting are required. Candidates must possess the ability to communicate in both oral and written form for a variety of audiences, including effective public speaking. Qualities including personable, outgoing with a demonstrated passion for museums with a high degree of initiative are necessary. Excellent organizational skills, accuracy and attention to detail are needed. German language skills are desired.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and Google Docs required. Candidates should have familiarity with accepted collections care and management procedures. Knowledge of German history, immigration history, or regional history is preferred. Professional and effective communication skills required. Ability to prioritize and work independently with minimal supervision is a necessity. Demonstrated commitment to broadening program and service audiences to specifically include under-represented populations.
Normal office, museum setting.
Condition of Employment
Manual Dexterity: Work requires definite skilled and accurate physical operations requiring some closely coordinated performance. This position requires the ability to climb stairs and use of ladders. Physical Effort: Work requires handling objects up to 50lbs., but not for sustained periods.
This position description has been prepared to define the general duties of the position, provide examples of work and to detail the required knowledge, skills and abilities as well as the acceptable experience and training for the position. The description is not intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the duties of employees under supervision. The GAHC&M retains and reserves any and all rights to change, modify, amend, add to or delete from any portion of this description in its sole judgment.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com. Questions may be directed to 563.322.8844. Resumes will be reviewed upon receipt and priority consideration will be given to applications received by November 15th, 2022.