SAPIENS Archaeology/Biological Anthropology Development Editor
- Wenner-Gren Foundation, Inc.
- Working from home
- Closing date
- Nov 3, 2022
- Position Type
- Archaeology, Biological Anthropology
- Full Time
- Organization Type
- Level of Experience
SAPIENS is a digital magazine about the human world. It’s about how we communicate with one another, why we behave kindly and badly, where and when we evolved in the past, and how we live and continue to evolve today.
The Archaeology/Bioanthropology Developmental Editor will develop and successfully publish articles that draw from anthropology’s diverse voices to translate the field for a non-academic global audience. Solicit and review pitches from anthropological researchers and practitioners; collaborate with anthropologists to development articles in a clear, accurate, and compelling style; shepherd articles through the editorial process, working with the editorial team on all aspects of the publication process; liaise with the author on editorial matters in a prompt and professional manner; and assist in any social media and other promotion of articles as requested.
Regularly meet with the editorial team to build a cohesive editorial vision for SAPIENS and to ensure the publication’s editorial systems are effective and efficient; conduct online or in person workshops for anthropologists on the craft of writing; represent the magazine at conferences and other venues; collaboratively work with editing colleagues within the publication; and other duties as assigned.
- Brings diverse perspectives and experiences to the magazine and team.
- Develops and edits articles on a tight production schedule.
- Translates academic anthropological research for a broad public.
- Guides articles through all production stages.
- Identifies and tactfully solves challenging editorial situations.
- Communicates effectively with authors, editors, and colleagues.
- Edits books, journals, or other written materials with some guidance from others. Establishes editing schedules.
- Coordinate all stages of manuscript editing and proof review up to the time the book is bound and edit and approve catalog and jacket materials with guidance from others.
- Performs other related work as needed.
Minimum requirements include a college or university degree in related field.
Minimum requirements include knowledge and skills developed through 2-5 years of work experience in a related job discipline.
- Bachelor's degree.
- PhD in anthropology.
- Prior experience in publishing, journalism, or related field.
- Development editing experience.
Technical Skills or Knowledge:
- Familiarity with Associated Press style, Microsoft Office Suite, Submittable, WordPress, Zoom, Slack, and Google Docs.
- Knowledge of journalism and essay writing practices.
- Familiarity with socio-cultural anthropology and linguistics.
- Background in a foreign language, particularly Spanish.
- Skilled at trans-cultural communication and highlighting underrepresented voices.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Work independently and interact confidently but flexibly with authors.
- Work cordially and collaboratively with colleagues at all levels.
- Concentrate and attend to a highly detail-oriented task.
- Work on multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Tact and diplomacy in dealing with authors, editors, and colleagues.
- Willingness to take responsibility for meeting deadlines.
- Sound editorial and ethical judgement and discretion.
- Enthusiasm and passion for anthropology.
SAPIENS is an editorially independent magazine published by the Wenner-Gren Foundation in partnership with the University of Chicago Press.
The Wenner-Gren Foundation is a private operating foundation dedicated to the advancement of anthropology throughout the world. To learn more about the foundation please visit our website at www.wennergren.org.
The following information is provided by the employer in accordance with AAA policy. AAA is not responsible for verifying the accuracy of these statements. They are not part of the actual position description submitted for publication by the employer.
- This employer does prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation/preference.
- This employer does prohibit discrimination based on gender identity/expression.
- This employer does not offer health insurance benefits to eligible partners.
- This employer does not appear on the AAUP list of censured institutions.
655 3RD AVE 23RD FL
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert