The Teaching Artist for School & Education Community Programs facilitates art making workshops at libraries, community centers, elementary schools, and middle schools in various locations in LA County, including Willowbrook, Compton, South LA, and MacArthur Park. The Teaching Artist will develop and teach object-based art making workshops inspired by LACMA's permanent and rotating exhibitions. There are opportunities to teach occasional teacher professional development programs and family programs seasonally. Availability to work Saturdays and varied weekdays is critical to this position. Work will be in-person with some virtual programs taught on Zoom, Webex, and remote meetings/trainings. Vaccination required.
- Plans and facilitates object-based, interactive, arts integrated lessons for elementary and middle-school students with diverse backgrounds, including English Language Learners and students with multiple needs; -Conceives of and facilitates inter-generational object-based art making lessons at community centers, parks, and public libraries.
- Develops and Implements lessons that adhere to best practices in museum education and are aligned with current State standards for the visual arts, history-social sciences, and/or English language arts and Common Core State Standards.
- Performs other duties or special projects as assigned.
- Maintains regular and reliable attendance.
- Participates regularly in LACMA's professional development to stay current on key trends.
- Bachelor's degree in Studio Art, Art History, Cultural Anthropology, Education, or related field.
- At least two years of teaching experience developing lessons in a museum, classroom, or informal learning setting.
- Familiarity with elementary and middle school curriculum and object-based teaching.
- Experience working with elementary and middle school students in a classroom setting.
- Experience working with intergenerational families and groups in community settings.
- Experience working with students with disabilities, PreK, TK, and Middle School students.
- Strong working knowledge of Google Suite and MS Office.
- Reliable transportation to travel to locations within the Los Angeles County region.
- Demonstrate strong, effective, and written and oral communications, relationship-building, and presentation skills.
- Conduct independent research pertinent areas of the Museum's collection and temporary exhibitions.