Understanding people holistically requires that we explore and explain the breadth and depth of the cultures in which people live. This includes global and U.S. cultures as a whole as well as popular culture and diverse subcultures. Horizon's cultural intelligence practice is charged with decoding and converting shifts in the global zeitgeist into cultural trend intelligence that unlocks opportunities for business.
The Manager, Cultural Intelligence will work with Horizon's cultural intelligence team on projects for Horizon's internal and external clients which may include syndicated cultural trends deliverables, thought leadership pieces, or custom consulting projects keyed to specific clients and their objectives. There are three key areas of focus: 1) research, including desk research, syndicated data analysis, primary research design and analysis 2) writing, presentation design, and other forms of content creation focused on cultural trends and consumer intelligence; and 3) helping to foster an understanding of cultural intelligence and the value it provides across the agency. To fulfill on his/her daily responsibilities, the Manager, Cultural Intelligence will have at his/her disposal all of the research resources, tools, technologies, and talent available within The WHY Group center of excellence and across the agency as a whole.
Duties and Responsibilities
Engage in general and topical research efforts related to Cultural Intelligence, current trends and consumer behaviors. - 20%
- General cultural and current events reading, observational field work, analysis of syndicated data and reports, analysis of publically available data and reports, and other methods as required
- Within the WHY Group's Cultural IQ knowledge management hubs, track and post cultural signals on a daily basis while setting up and monitoring key RSS feeds.
- Engage in deeper exploration and desk research on categories, industries, and consumer groups as required. This may include assigned categories/topics to be tracked on an ongoing basis
- Willing to go beyond basic tracking to analyzing and drawing hypothesis, including providing a weekly digest of observations + recommendations
Contribute to the design, execution and analysis of primary research to inform cultural intelligence, which may include quantitative, qualitative, and social research. - 25%
- Quantitative: Generate research topics and draft questionnaires to be fielded in Horizon's Finger on the Pulse online research panel; program surveys; Conduct analysis of quantitative research including data runs, creating charts and graphs, pulling key facts and stats, etc.; mine and interpret syndicated data (MRI, Nielsen, Comscore, Horizon's .blu platform, etc.)
- Qualitative research: Assist with focus group or in-depth interviews, trend-spoter idea exchanges online and in person, etc.
- Social media research: collaborate with Horizon's Distillery social intelligence specialists on methods of using social media and social listening technologies to inform cultural intelligence work
Develop ideas and create content for syndicated cultural intelligence deliverables. - 35%
- Collaborate with cultural intelligence team on:
- Creation and implementation of twice monthly blog posts in Horizon Catalyst, Horizon's agency thought leadership hub
- Development of macrotrends as well as the writing and creation of macrotrend briefs
- Development of twice yearly "Top Trends" reports, which summarize key trends the agency is tracking that drive future cultural trajectories
- Creation of topical deep dive reports on industries, categories, consumer groups, key topics in marketing, etc.
- Creation of topical POV briefs and whitepapers
- Other, new cultural intelligence deliverables as may be developed
Contribute to delivery of custom client projects and agency thought leadership. - 15%
- Collaborate with the cultural intelligence team in development, design, and implementation of custom client projects
- May include a variety of qualitative, quantitative and observational methods and activities as client needs dictate
- Collaborate with other WHY Group teams in creation of agency thought leadership and other client reports (segmentation reports, concept tests, etc.)
- May include a variety of qualitative, quantitative and observational methods and activities as project needs dictate
Develop and maintain working knowledge of Horizon's many data resources, including but not limited to: MRI, YouGov, Helixa, Magid, Toluna Analytics, Netbase, and .blu (Horizon's proprietary, deterministic identity framework and database). - 5%
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong Presentation skills
- Passion for writing and/or other forms of content creation
- Excellent time management and project management skills
- Proficient in MS Office suite skills (PowerPoint, Word, and Excel)
- Prior experience executing and/or applying various forms of research and consumer insights - qualitative, quantitative, observational, ethnographic - preferred
- Experience with creative software applications (Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.) a plus
- Background in social sciences (anthropology, psychology, sociology) and/or the humanities (history, cultural studies, literature, languages, the arts) a plus
- Working knowledge or fluency in multiple languages a plus
- 3 to 5 years' experience executing and applying various forms of research and consumer insights in a trend forecasting, research, consumer insights, and/or account planning environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable speaking in front of groups
- Naturally curious about people and their wants, needs, attitudes and behaviors
- Interested and engaged in popular culture, news, and current events
- On the pulse of emerging trends across social media platforms
- Interested in media across channels (video, digital, social, etc.)
- Interested in new technologies, especially those related to media
- Critical thinker with experience writing client-ready reports and presentation decks
- Likes a balance of creative, right-brained work and analytical, left-brained work
- Excited by the prospect of working with a mix of structured data ("hard numbers") and unstructured data (cultural observations and qualitative consumer feedback) to create a compelling story
- Thrives in a collaborative team environment
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.