Supervisor, Mobile Museum
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County ("NHMLAC") was the first museum in L.A. to open its doors 108 years ago and is poised for an exciting new era as it plans for the future. Having recently completed a new strategic framework, the Natural History Museums of Los Angeles County-including NHM at Exposition Park, La Brea Tar Pits and Museum in mid-Wilshire, and the William S. Hart Museum in Newhall-is looking forward to new building projects and campaigns, exhibitions, community outreach, and innovative audience engagement.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County values and endeavors to support diversity, equity, inclusion, and access within its organization and communities. Candidates who identify as Black, Indigenous, or a Person of Color (BIPOC), neurodiverse, a woman, a person with a disability, a veteran, and/or a part of the LGBTQAI+ community are welcome and encouraged to apply.
The NHMLAC is seeking a Mobile Museum Supervisor for our Education, Exhibition, and Community Engagement department. The Mobile Museum Supervisor works closely with the Mobile Museum Manager to oversee the Mobile Museum Educators, the development and implementation of facilitation and program systems training for MM staff, and MM programs for students, teachers, and communities at the Natural History Museum. It is an exciting time as we embark on new journeys of becoming a museum of, for, and with L.A.
Responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Provides daily supervision and support for Mobile Museum Educator (s).
- Facilitates Mobile Museum and Education programs for students, teachers, and communities.
- Develops staff facilitation schedules. Problem solves staff absences and provides coverage support as needed. Communicates facilitation schedule changes to appropriate MM staff.
- Identifies Educator facilitation and systems training needs. Develops and maintains training curriculum, as well as facilitates training and coaching for the department.
- Maintains data collection forms used by MM Educators with input from Manager, Mobile Museums.
This position has the following requirements:
- Two years experience as a supervisor, staff lead, and/or staff trainer.
- Ability to multi-task and handle multiple priorities; Creative thinker and problem-solver; Very flexible, adaptable and reliable.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of school staff, students, the general public and museum employees.
- Excellent English communication skills. Fluency in a second language, especially Spanish, Tagalog, Korean or American Sign Language is preferred but not required.
- Two or more years of teaching experience, especially with K-12 school audiences, or in a museum or other informal learning setting is preferred.
- Bachelor's degree in Education, Biological Science, History, Anthropology or related field preferred but not required.
- Experience using virtual learning and communication platforms.
- Experience in working with diverse populations. Strong commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility (IDEA) practices.
- A personal vehicle, a valid California Driver's License, and Personal Automobile Liability Insurance to drive to Mobile Museum sites, including but not limited to: schools, parks, museums, and libraries throughout Los Angeles County.
- Ability to work occasional weekends.
The NHMLAC is especially interested in candidates whose background and experience have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to engagement and inclusion at culturally diverse audiences in museums and in sciences.
The NHMLAC is seeking applicants who have demonstrated experience and commitment to working with a diverse community. Salary range for this position is $23.00 - $24.00 with experience plus excellent benefits. This is a full-time regular, non-exempt position.
A cover letter, current resume, and list of 3-4 references are required for all applicants. Review of applications begins immediately and continues until the position is filled. Interested candidates, please visit www.nhmlac.org/careers-our-museums and click the link of the position you are interested in or go directly to the online application.
The NHMLAC is establishing a COVID-19 vaccination mandate for staff, effective August 10, 2021. NHMLAC is requiring that all staff receive the vaccine for COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Exemptions for documented medical reasons or a sincerely held religious belief may be requested.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.