The American Anthropological Association (AAA) a national non-profit organization located in the DC-metro area seeks to hire a staff accountant. This position works directly with the controller as part of a two-person department to process financial transactions and reconcile accounts.
AAA offers partial telework to qualified staff. In addition to a flexible work schedule AAA offers a robust package of employee benefits including health insurance, pension, and a generous PTO policy.
Send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com
- Process and maintain all cash records including of credit card transactions. Resolves discrepancies.
- Responsible for all aspects of accounts payable: implementing accepted accounting procedures in reviewing the coded transactions of others, aging for proper payment date, process and disburse payments and reconciling the module monthly to the general ledger.
- Maintains primary responsibility for the processing of refunds
- Manage the biweekly payroll process to include coordination with controller to ensure cross training.
- Responsible for analysis and maintenance of accounts receivable records. Prepares and maintains detailed aging reports, reconciling the module monthly to the general ledger. Initiates contact with customers via monthly statements, emails, etc. in order to collect delinquencies.
- Process and maintain all cash records including the processing of credit card payments through third-party software and on-site credit card payments. Resolves any discrepancies that may arise.
- Prepare cash receipt journal entries as part of the monthly financial statement process, reconciling with source documents to ensure accuracy and posting them to the general ledger.
- Responsible for preparing and filing 1099s yearly to the Internal Revenue Service.
- Assist external auditors by preparing schedules and performing other tasks necessary for the annual audit.
- Assist in the management of the on-site/advanced annual meeting registration functions.
- Act as backup to Controller in contacting building maintenance about repairs and maintenance items.
- Function as backup to Receptionist with mailroom and phone duties.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education 4-years degree in accounting
- Experience Two years’ experience as staff accountant and experience with accounting software required. Highly desirable is experience with MS Great Plains and membership organizations