Librarian Faculty Position, Morgantown Campus.
The WVU Libraries seeks a Social Sciences Research Librarian to build and maintain liaison relationships with the departments of Psychology, Communication Studies, Sociology & Anthropology, and Social Work. This librarian would also be a member of the Downtown Library's Research Services team, providing general research support and teaching information literacy courses and instruction sessions. Major Responsibilities:
Qualifications Required qualifications:
- Develops and maintains close working relationships with faculty in assigned disciplines; serving as their primary Libraries contact.
- Provides specialized research consultations and instruction services in areas of liaison responsibility, both in person and using digital media.
- Supports and contributes to the library's instruction and research support services, including virtual reference and instruction of for-credit information literacy courses.
- Provides general research assistance to all campus and community library users.
- Monitors trends in scholarly publishing in areas of liaison responsibility to inform the design of library services and the development of library collections.
- Monitors trends in data needs of researchers to assist in providing educational support needed through creation of workshops and consultative services.
- Serves on library and/or WVU campus committees, task forces, and working groups and engages in service and professional development/research.
- ALA accredited Master's degree in library and information science or international equivalent graduate degree
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated understanding of the role of liaison librarians
- Demonstrated understanding of information literacy practices
- Demonstrated commitment to building inclusion, diversity, belonging, and equity in professional practice
- Advanced degree in a social science or related field
- Familiarity with the discovery of data sets and use of data across social science disciplines or willingness to learn
- Experience with instruction in a higher education setting
If you feel that you don't meet these desired qualifications, don't let a confidence gap stop you from applying. Desired qualifications can sometimes miss the elements that would most strengthen our team; we value a diversity of skills.Condition of Work and Benefits
Twelve-month assignment, 37.5 hours weekly M-F with occasional evening work possible
Flexible Hybrid work schedule possible
Faculty rank and status
Health and retirement benefits
Generous paid vacation, holiday, and sick leave
Supportive work environment with funding support for research and professional activities
We welcome beginning or early career librarians and will fill the position at the rank of Staff Librarian or Assistant University Librarian. Rank and salary are dependent upon post-MLS experience and credentials.
Salary range $55,000.00 - $65,000.00 commensurate with experience and faculty rank.
Exemplary job performance, professional development/research, and service are required for reappointment and promotion in rank.Application procedure
Application review process begins November 8, 2021. Applications received by this date will receive the highest consideration. A complete application must include a letter of interest, resume or curriculum vitae, and the names of three current, professional references (please include mailing addresses, e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers). Please contact the search committee chair Alyssa Wright at (see application details) if you have questions. About WVU Libraries
The WVU Libraries encompasses seven libraries: the Downtown Library, Evansdale Library, Health Sciences Library (Morgantown), Law Library, Health Sciences Library (Charleston), Mary F. Shipper Library at Potomac State College, Beckley Library at WVU Institute of Technology, and West Virginia and Regional History Center. Our collections include more than 1.8 million books, 400,000 eBooks, and 117,000 eJournals. To learn more about our strategic goals read our 2021-2024 strategic Roadmap https://library.wvu.edu/about/strategic-roadmapAbout West Virginia University and Morgantown
Morgantown, WV is a growing university city. The area offers abundant outdoor recreation and the cultural opportunities of a college town. It is within easy driving distance of Pittsburgh, PA (70 mi) and is within a day's driving distance to Washington DC and Columbus, OH (200 mi).
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position. To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu.
Meeting the needs of today's professional couples is a critical factor in WVU's success in recruiting and retaining new faculty and senior staff. Our Dual Career Program assists couples in your employment search. WVU belongs to the Oh/Western PA/WV Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC). Please visit dualcareer.wvu.edu and ohwpawvherc.org for more information and job postings.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity and has received the Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Award for 6 consecutive years. Read about our Inclusive Campus initiatives here: https://www.wvu.edu/inclusive-campus
The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.