What We're Looking For
Applies advanced knowledge of the principles and theories of geology, hydrology, chemistry, biology or other related sciences to analyze the potential effects a project may have on the environment and/or the potential effects the environment may have on the design and construction of a project. Participates in complex projects or all levels of project/program difficulty and/or may be responsible for an assigned phase of project or program.
We are looking for a technically sound environmental specialist who is ready to be challenged and lead the environmental documentation task. The environmental specialist will primarily work independently while contributing to the overall effort of the design team to deliver quality work, on time, on budget and to the clients satisfaction on every project. We have projects with notable clients such as PennDOT, Pennsylvania Turnpike, SEPTA, Amtrak, and DRPA. We offer a flexible work schedule and the position could be located in our King of Prussia, Philadelphia, Harrisburg, or Allentown offices.
Primary Focus Will Include:
- Independently lead environmental tasks for Categorical Exclusion level projects
- Monitor the scope, schedule, budget and coordinate with sub-consultants for the environmental tasks
- Chapter 105 permitting experience including GPs, Individual Permits and Small Project Joint Permit Applications
- Experience delivering environmental documentation
- Experience in waterway and wetlands permitting
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- 8 years of experience with NEPA clearance
- Master's degree
- Experience with PennDOT, Pennsylvania Turnpike, SEPTA, Amtrak or land development projects
What You'll Need
- Coordinates and conducts with other staff in the collection and analyzing of data obtained for projects.
- Determines or develops best methodology and technical approaches for conducting analysis in field work; sets up test equipment as necessary to obtain scientific data.
- Examines and evaluates present and future potential environmental science effects relating to the planning, design, and construction of proposed projects.
- Serves as task lead or principal author in the preparation of reports, on environmental science effects of projects.
- Provides technical scientific support on environmental issues to project managers during the planning, design, or construction of projects.
- Performs review of work to ensure the design or construction are in compliance with design criteria and scientific specifications and determines the need for additional investigations, studies, or alternate plans or designs if necessary.
- Supports the marketing and proposal preparation of potential opportunities or projects.
- Leads the preparation of applications and supporting documents for local, state, and federal environmental permits as well as other regulatory compliance laws and regulations.
- Assists in organizing, preparation, public meetings as well as possible participation in public meetings.
- Attends various meetings with clients, other engineering firms, and staff and may lead discussion on environmental science issues.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Geology, Biology, Ecology, Environmental Science, Archeology, Anthropology, or related field and 6 years relevant experience
- Master's Degree in Geology, Biology, Ecology, Environmental Science, Archeology, Anthropology, or related field and 5 years of relevant experience
- Generates original ideas, data, and methodologies tailored to specific conditions or projects. Contributes to scientific articles and trends to assess findings and relevance for environmental documentation and permits.
- Assesses and synthesizes disparate information for reports and provides recommendations for preferred approaches.
- Assists in the development of standards of practice for the team.
- Supports marketing and proposal efforts (i.e., serving as lead author for sections of proposals).
- Serves as the field investigator who organizes fields crews, determines methodologies, and guides work to be completed by less experienced staff.
- Reviews and evaluates the field safety plans.
- Prepares and performs environmental compliance monitoring.
- Serves as a reviewer of others analysis in sections of technical reports and providing guidance to less-experienced staff.
- Possesses knowledge to gain an advanced certification in established analytical methods with extensive experience in their application.
- Ensures accountability by holding one's self and others accountable to meet commitments for assignments.
- Displays action orientation by taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
- Collaborates by building partnerships outside the department (i.e., clients, other firms, and sub-contractors) to meet shared objectives.
- Communicates effectively by developing and delivering communications that convey a clear understanding of the needs of the team, regulators, and clients.
- Instills trust by gaining the confidence of others through accountability, honesty, integrity, and professionalism.
Click here for benefits information: HNTB Total Rewards
Click here to learn more about EOE including disability and vet
Visa sponsorship is available for this position.
R-07186 Full Time #AS #EnvironmentalPlanning #Highways
NOTICE TO THIRD-PARTY AGENCIES:
HNTB does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or agencies. Any staffing/employment agency, person or entity that submits an unsolicited resume to this site does so with the understanding that the applicant's resume will become the property of HNTB. HNTB will have the right to hire that applicant at its discretion and without any fee owed to the submitting staffing/employment agency, person or entity. Staffing/employment agencies who have fee agreements with HNTB must submit applicants to the designated HNTB recruiter to be eligible for placement fees.