News can change the world, save lives, and bring us all closer together through empathy and understanding - but not if it isnt read. Out of the hundreds of millions of articles and posts, how do we deliver the information that matters the most? How do we avoid the filter bubble of personalization and widen peoples interests and knowledge?
SmartNews is creating an entirely new model for the news industry. Our mission is to evaluate (in real-time) what makes a quality story and deliver the stories that matter to people who need it. We are dedicated to the idea that people make better decisions when provided with better information.
Were not there yet, but we have a great head start. Were one of the very few pre-IPO, (double) unicorns focused on the news with thousands of publisher partners globally. Founded in Tokyo in 2012, SmartNews has become the go-to source of news for users around the world. We have more than 20M+ monthly active users worldwide, billions of channel interactions, and article pageviews generated per month.
Join us and be a part of the solution as we work to escape the filter bubble, strengthen democracy, and help people be better informed.
About YouUnderstanding users is at the core of building products. The research function at SmartNews is fairly new, and the opportunity for making a strategic impact is vast. As a founding member of the research team, you will leverage research to inspire product vision, develop a robust understanding of peoples informational needs, motivations, goals, experiences, expectations, and decision-making, help develop internal research practices and systems, and work closely across product, marketing, design, and data to make your impact.
Our product team spans across US and JP - You will be primarily focusing on research to understand the users in the US, partnering with leadership to prioritize, plan, and execute insightful user research that will guide roadmaps and product team execution. You will also be partnering closely with researchers in JP to identify actionable insights that pinpoint differences and similarities in these markets.
* Proactively identifying high-impact questions from a product or business perspective, focusing on the US market
* Design strong research agendas, lead research end-to-end, including strategic, foundational, iterative, and evaluative research
* Be the internal thought leader in the domain of user research and represent the voice of users throughout the whole product development process, working closely with product managers, designers, data scientists, engineers, and leadership
* Can conduct research leveraging both qualitative and quantitative methodologies
* Partner closely with the SmartNews Research leader to build out and improve research infrastructure and toolings
* Communicate insights in creative and compelling ways and guide teams to translate research findings into product or business impact
* Contribute to creating a strong research culture at SmartNews, which include research related educations, trainings, programs to scale its impact and equip other parts of SmartNews basic user-centered research thinking and competencies
* 6+ years of research experience (can be a combination of industry experience and academic research)
* At least 2-3 years of experience working in industry & working with product teams
* Bachelor's Degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Information Science, Psychology, Anthropology, Sociology, or similar
* Track record of applying your research skills to create product and business impact
* Strong work ethic, excellent organization and communication skills
* Love and care for your craft
Nice To Haves
* Masters or PhD Degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Information Science, Psychology, Anthropology, Sociology, or similar
* Passion for international research
* Passion for working and learning in a fast-growing company
* Equity included
* 100% medical, dental and vision insurance coverage (for self and family)
* 401(k) matching program
* Benefit plan with monthly allowances
* Free lunch, snacks, drinks at the office
* Pet friendly office