Qualitative Moderator (Financial Services) - (location flexible)
Are you interested in why people think/behave the ways that they do, including the financial decisions they make? Do you enjoy having conversations with people, and then analyzing the ‘whys' that they share to inform real business decisions? Then, consider joining our team.
There are a range of job titles within the ‘Qualitative Moderator' umbrella, which you would be aligned to based upon your skillset. Generally though, a qualitative moderator works with a Client Manager (sales/client relationship owner) and a Project Manager (logistics) to support qualitative projects within the financial services team. They are in charge of all phases of qualitative research projects from design, to execution, to reporting.
Although an in-depth knowledge of the financial services industry group (e.g. wealth, banking, insurance) is extremely helpful (and much preferred), at least a real interest in the industry with a desire/aptitude to learn quickly is required. Responsibilities
- Hold great enthusiasm for qualitative research, always serving as an internal and external ambassador.
- Effectively articulate qualitative capabilities, resources, and best practices verbally and in-writing (i.e. proposals, reports).
- Lead study design with project team and/or clients in support of proposals.
- Lead all aspects of a qualitative client project from beginning to end ranging from virtual (e.g. IDIs, groups, online bulletin boards) to domestic U.S.-based in-person sessions (e.g. focus groups, ethnographies).
- Includes, but is not limited to: following and maintaining best practices, setting and meeting timelines, ensuring all stakeholder expectations are managed, authoring study materials (e.g. discussion guides, stimulus), moderating/fieldwork, debriefing sessions, authoring analysis/reports, including visual and/or video story-telling, and presenting to clients.
- Review screeners for clarity, precision, accuracy, and thoroughness that will set projects up for successful recruits. Draft screener questions as-needed.
- Continuously monitor quality levels and address quality issues.
- Analyze and write qualitatively based on small base sizes and sans numbers.
- Author insights that will be relevant at the client level.
- Work to bring relevant market, industry, and client info to bear in reporting.
- Craft compelling stories as part of report analysis.
- Author formal reports (typically PowerPoint) based on qualitative analysis.
- Deliver strong client presentations in an engaging way.
- Contribute to thought leadership, point-of-view pieces and our award-winning blog (escalent.co/thinking/blog)
NOTE: This position may require moderate to heavy travel.
- Must have a Bachelor degree in a field related to the industry, or qualitative research (e.g., business, economics, marketing, market research, psychology, anthropology, sociology, etc.). An advanced degree is a bonus.
- RIVA, Burke, or Research Rockstar coursework/certification preferred, but not required.
- More than 3 years of experience as a qualitative moderator
- Excited to learn more about the financial services space (e.g. investing, banking, insurance) to be able to confidently converse in Advisor, Investor, and other stakeholder vernacular.
- Must be a quick study and creative problem solver
- Experience analyzing and report writing on qualitative market research.
- Must have strong written communication skills to be able to summarize business findings and consultative implications for clients.
- Must have strong verbal communication skills to lead conversations.
- Must be able to build relationships with internal and external clients.
- Skilled in time management and prioritization to support multiple clients and projects.
- Willing to work the flexible hours that qualitative fieldwork can sometimes require
- Understanding of qual methods (e.g. focus groups, IDIs, OBBs, etc.) is required.
- Understanding of qual techniques (e.g. projectives, creative thinking, etc.) is required.
- Understanding of quantitative methods (e.g. surveys) is preferred.
- Must be proficient in the critical Microsoft software: Office, PowerPoint, Excel, and Word.
- Experience with video editing is preferred.
EEO/AA EMPLOYER M/F/V/D
Equal Opportunity Employer: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, or other legally protected status.