We are looking for a Postdoctoral Fellow with a strong background in Human-Centered Design, qualitative research, and mixed methods research in healthcare to collaborate on healthcare research with a particular focus on implementation science and innovation in healthcare. The goal of this program is to cultivate early stage career healthcare researchers with an interest in applying human centered design and mixed-methods research to innovation in healthcare.
The Fellow will be responsible for significantly contributing and executing data collection activities across different projects with a significant qualitative and/or mixed-methods components, as well as conduct analyses of resulting data for publication in peer-reviewed academic journals and other dissemination materials. They will collaborate with other team members of relevant studies, including primary investigators, co-investigators, Geisinger Research staff, and will work closely with teams to conduct data analyses, synthesis, manuscript preparation, and dissemination.
The Fellow may also propose supplemental research questions or activities that may contribute to their own research agenda, subject to feasibility and agreement by mentor. Opportunities to pursue independent research through collaboration with other PIs, on other grant-funded projects, and grant writing is also supported, if the opportunity arises.
We are looking for someone who is enthusiastic about innovating in health care using human centered design and qualitative research. The Fellow should have a PhD or the equivalent in a biomedical sciences related field (biomedicine, biomedical informatics, bioengineering) with research interest and experience in qualitative methods, human-centered design, user-centered design, mixed methods, implementation sciences, human computer interaction or related fields; OR a PhD or the equivalent in sociology, public health, anthropology, or related social science or health science field with a strong demonstration of applying those fields to health sciences or medical domains. Excellent communication and writing skills, attention to detail, and independent time management and organization are required.
This role is expected to be 1-2 years in length.
- Collaborates with investigators, key staff, clinicians, clinical and research personnel to understand key research questions, develop strategies to address them, analyze data from qualitative and mixed-methods research, create presentations and reports to provide insights that align with research purposes.
- Leads a range of activities with key internal and external stakeholders
- Directs day-to-day projects/assignments
- Applies advanced research methodologies including qualitative, mixed-methods, and human-centered design research
- Translates discoveries into practical findings and implementable solutions using Geisinger as a national laboratory for healthcare innovation
- Contributes to learnings as a subject matter expert.
- Develops work plans for discrete projects and program/multi-project initiatives
- Works with project accountable leaders to manage the work to meet project milestones through application of project management discipline, consistent follow through, relationship management and creative organizational problem solving.
- Consistently meets or exceeds project outcome targets and reaches stretch goals frequently through consistent follow-through, creative problem solving, removing barriers, and tenacious focus on results.
- Leverages extensive operational and/or clinical experience to resolve difficult opportunities.
- Assesses the local stakeholder environments and works with project sponsors and leaders to build the support and will to address opportunities among innovation staff, providers and leaders.
- Establishes and manages relationships to achieve transformational change with staff, providers and leaders.
- Successfully operationalizes project ownership and accountability.
- Collaborates effectively with staff such as data analysts and research staff.
- Conducts research related to specific project or initiative.
- Gathers, summarizes, records and interprets data obtained from research projects and initiatives.
- Plans subsequent work with review and approval of principal scientist and investigator.
- Develops research protocols.
- May instruct or train others in area of expertise.
- May present research results at internal and external scientific venues.
- Serves on committees as necessary.
- Contributes to scholarly presentations or publications as applicable.
- Interprets and follow policies and guidelines to define procedures and meet goals and deadlines
Work is typically performed in an office environment or working from home. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
Preferred Competencies Include:
- Knowledge in one or more of the following areas: clinical informatics; implementation science; qualitative research; mixed-methods research; human-centered design research; user-centered design research; behavioral science.
- Passion for healthcare transformation and innovation as a means to increase quality of care and improve efficiency of healthcare delivery methods.
- Ability to effectively communicate with team members within Geisinger and outside organizations including senior management, peers, and clinical partners.
- Demonstrated ability to engage with a cross-functional team.
- Demonstrated ability to independently lead projects and to provide discipline-specific scientific expertise.
- Excellent analytic, organizational, communication and interpersonal skills required.
Doctoral Degree- (Required)
Certification(s) and License(s)
OUR PURPOSE & VALUES: Everything we do is about caring for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities. KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves. EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence. LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow. INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation. SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and domestic partners.* Perhaps just as important, from senior management on down, we encourage an atmosphere of collaboration, cooperation and collegiality. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer Women and Minorities are Encouraged to Apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status.
We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer Women and Minorities are Encouraged to Apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status.