Summary: Responsible for providing subject matter expertise and the support for planning and administration of equity principles in public health efforts and place-based models within the Community Health and Prevention team. This includes utilizing case studies of successful Public Health Agencies and intermediary partnerships; identification of partner jurisdictions for in-depth support for capacity building; and development and testing of technical assistance trainings and tools.
* Implements technical assistance and capacity building activities through specific work relating to the State Public Health Systems for the Advancement of Health Equity and Creating Resilient Communities Project (a place based public health effort).
* Supports the development and implementation of project evaluation.
* Works directly with the Senior Director on implementing an ASTHO learning community to support states and jurisdictions with place-based efforts.
* Responsible for the identification and development of resources to be shared with jurisdictions.
* Work collaboratively and build consensus with funders and partner organizations.
* Proactively build, cultivate trust, and strengthen stakeholder relationships to promote health equity work within the community health and prevention portfolio to support membership and ASTHO as an organization.
* Works with staff across the Community Health and Prevention Team to consult and coordinate, as appropriate ,on the inclusion of place-based efforts into proposed and existing work.
* Serves as a resource and responds to members, affiliates, and alumni technical assistance requests on issues related to
* Experience with 7 years of relevant work experience, including supervision.
* Experience implementing place-based efforts to address Health Equity and Social Determinants of Health initiatives or programs.
* Masters degree preferred in Public Health or related field such as sociology and anthropology
* Experience in and knowledge of public health equity policy
* Experience working in state public health, local public health or community-based organizations addressing public health issues
* Excellent interpersonal skills
* Strong active listening ability
* Excellent written and oral communications skills
ASTHO is the only national, nonprofit organization representing the nations state and territorial public health officials and the agencies they serve. ASTHOs members, the chief health officials of all 50 states in the United States, the District of Columbia, the five U.S. territories, and the three freely-associated states, are dedicated to formulating and influencing sound public health policy, assuring excellence in public health practice, and advancing health equity and optimal health for all. ASTHO is headquartered in Arlington, Virginia and opened a second office location in Atlanta, Georgia in 2017. ASTHO was incorporated on March 23, 1942 with the goal of helping health officials navigate a rapidly changing public health landscape and remains a strong voice in governmental public health to this day. ASTHOs mission is to support, equip, and advocate for state and territorial health officials in their work of advancing the publics health and well-being.
State and territorial health agencies advancing health equity and optimal health for all.
ASTHOs mission is to support, equip, and advocate for state and territorial health officials in their work of advancing the publics health and well-being.