The application period for the 2022 Dr. Nancy Foster Scholarship Program has opened. Complete applications are due December 14, 2021 at 11:59 pm Eastern Time. The Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) can be found .
The Dr. Nancy Foster Scholarship Program provides support for master's and doctoral degrees in oceanography, marine biology, maritime archaeology-these may include but are not limited to ocean and/or coastal: engineering, social science, marine education, marine stewardship, cultural anthropology, and resource management disciplines-and particularly encourages women and members of minority groups to apply.
In order to have a competitive application for the Dr. Nancy Foster Scholarship Program, it is recommended that you review the following bullets to assess whether or not you should apply for this scholarship.
- Your research proposal aligns closely with NOAA's mission, with particular emphasis on meeting the science priorities of the NOAA Office of National Marine Sanctuaries. This is 30% of your application score.
- Your financial need statement documents a strong financial need due to challenges, hardships, or other information through a compelling personal narrative. This is 25% of your application score.
- You have exceptional letters of recommendation. This is 10% of your application score.
- Historically, proposals that do not support the science or education priorities of NOAA's National Marine Sanctuary System do not rank as high.
- If you are in the last year of your Masters or Ph.D. program, it is not advised to apply for this scholarship.