United States of America - New Jersey, Burlington - NJ
AECOM is seeking an Archaeological Field Supervisor for immediate employment in our Burlington, NJ office.
This position is expected to begin November/December 2021.
This position is expected to be roughly 20-40 hours/week, and offer flexible scheduling as reasonably discussed.
At AECOM, we're delivering a better world.
We believe infrastructure creates opportunity for everyone. Whether it's improving your commute, keeping the lights on, providing access to clean water or transforming skylines, our work helps people and communities thrive.
Our clients trust us to bring together the best people, ideas, technical expertise and digital solutions to our work in transportation, buildings, water, the environment and new energy. We're one global team - 47,000 strong - driven by a common purpose to deliver a better world.
Archaeological Field Supervisors will have knowledge of basic field excavation techniques, the ability to identify Precontact and Historical artifacts, understand site and feature formation processes, be able to properly fill out and quality check field and laboratory forms, and be able to draw accurate profiles and plan views, and be able to direct others in these efforts. They will oversee and perform excavation of STPs, test units, and features, as well as mapping and documentation. Supervisors are expected to be able to keep field journals and write up field results. AECOM values Health and Safety and the Field Supervisor must prioritize Health and Safety protocols including those related with our stringent Covid-19 measures.
This position may consist of extensive manual labor including excavation with shovels and moving wheelbarrows filled with dirt. The Archaeological Field Supervisor should have the ability to extensively perform bending, kneeling, standing, and lifting and carrying objects weighing 50 lbs and must have a tolerance for working in outdoor environments, including prolonged walking or standing on various terrain in a wide range of weather conditions.
Primary responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Performs and oversees archaeological fieldwork and documentation.
- Works under direction of Field Director and Principal Investigator
- Works with technical field, lab and office staff, managers and administrative staff to ensure that projects meet AECOM quality standards.
- Responsible for overseeing, quality checking, and teaching as needed the archaeological technicians.
- Additional tasks may include writing, travel coordination, project/paperwork organizational support, and pulling together the equipment for field projects.
- May build or repair field/lab equipment
- BA/BS in Anthropology or a related
- Ability/willingness to travel and perform field work as needed
- Experience in archaeological fieldwork and analysis or demonstrated equivalent combination of education, skills, knowledge, abilities and experience;
- Successfully completed an accredited archaeological field school.
- The candidate will be well versed in standard archaeological techniques to include the excavation of shovel test pits and test units for all phases of archaeological investigations. The candidate must be prepared for field and office tasks.
- Field staff must have the ability to communicate clearly and work well with others.
- GPS data collection, Total Station, digital field data collection (ArcCollector, Survey123, Fulcrum, or comparable), MS Office, MS Access
- MA in Anthropology or a related field and ideally 2+ years of experience in archaeological fieldwork, supervision, and analysis or demonstrated equivalent combination of education, skills, knowledge, abilities and experience; must have successfully completed an accredited archaeological field school.
- Field projects could be located anywhere in the US, and travel will be required. Candidates will need a Valid Driver's License with a good driving record, and flexibility to travel overnight and out of state for up to 3+ months at a time.
- Candidates may be asked to submit a MVR (motor vehicle record, drug test, and/or medical surveillance screening at the time of hire.
- Relocation is not available for this position.
- Sponsorship is not available for this position.
What We Offer
We will give you the flexibility you need to do your best work with hybrid work options. Whether you're working from an AECOM office, remote location or at a client site, you will be working in a dynamic environment where your integrity, entrepreneurial spirit and pioneering mindset are championed.
You will help us foster a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion - a safe and respectful workplace, where we invite everyone to bring their whole selves to work using their unique talents, backgrounds and expertise to create transformational outcomes for our clients.
We will encourage you to grow and develop your career with us through our technical and professional development programs and diverse career opportunities. We believe in leadership at all levels. No matter where you sit in the organization you can make a lasting impact on the projects you work on, the teams and committees you join and our business.
We offer competitive pay and benefits, well-being programs to support you and your family, and the development resources you need to advance your career.
When you join us, you will connect and collaborate with a global network of experts - planners, designers, engineers, scientists, consultants, program and construction managers - leading the change toward a more sustainable and equitable future. Join us and let's get started.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours.
Job Category Sciences
Business Line Environment
Business Group Design and Consulting Services Group (DCS)
Country United States of America
Position Status Full Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 257629BR
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.