Domestic Violence Victim AdvocatePosition:
Flexible work schedule, Full-TimeEducation:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- College degree in Social Work (highly preferred), Gender Studies, Sociology, Psychology, Anthropology, or related field; or any combination of related education and experience with documented record of the ability to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position.
- DV Advocacy training preferred (required SARNCO training)
- 1-2 years of experience working in direct services to victims of domestic violence or similar human services program. Volunteer experience counts as work experience
- Six months experience providing crisis intervention preferred.
- Ability to respond with empathy and support to victims in crisis situations and with sensitivity and awareness to diverse cultural, ethnic, and social backgrounds, values, attitudes and languages.
- Commitment to concept of differences in delivering culturally specific services.
- Demonstrated ability to manage high stress situations.
- Demonstrates initiative and the ability to be flexible and creative.
- Ability to work as a team member which requires good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with community partners who provide DV services to assist clients.
- Excellence in both oral and written communications.
- Ability to manage time and complete multiple activities within a time frame.
- Understand privacy issues of clients and security issues around social media, smart phones and internet use.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite. Must be proficient in a PC environment.
- Multilingual - Fluency in Hindi, Urdu, Bengali, Nepali, or other South Asian language strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of South Asian culture and/or experience working with South Asian population strongly preferred.
The key responsibility is managing helpline calls and related activities. The Advocate serves as a direct service provider to adult domestic violence victims and survivors who will require shelter for crisis intervention and stabilization, assessment, referral and/or linkage with community services. Advocate will be responsible to update current resources that are specific to South Asian Americans and South Asian immigrant/refugee population. The advocate will also be responsible for maintaining the online Helpline information/data on a web page; client records, tracking services, meeting with clients for assessment and ongoing services. Advocate will coordinate program linkages and liaison with other organizations as assigned.Salary:
Based on experienceNote:
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Job Type: Full-time
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: Up to $18.00 per hour
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Columbus, OH 43220: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Preferred)
Willingness to travel:
Work Location: One location