Cardno is seeking an Archaeologist I to work with a multidisciplinary team of accomplished environmental scientists, including engineers, biologists, ecologists, archaeologists, and planners on a variety of projects. Primary duties include review of utility projects for potential environmental impacts and collaboration with a large interdisciplinary team of scientists to complete clearances on a timely basis.
This position is for an archaeologist with the following responsibilities and qualifications.
- Obtain clearance through client background check to access online system (upon employment)
- Comply with all Cardno and client policies including those related to safety, anti-harassment, and drug use
- Review client requests for cultural resource clearance to ensure they provide adequate information
- Conduct desktop reviews for cultural resource clearance work and ensure proper reviews and/or surveys are completed by Cardno staff or subcontractors according to client schedule
- Full engagement and willingness to identify process improvements to provide added value to our client
- Assist technical specialists in the field with cultural resource surveys and archaeological monitoring efforts
- Conduct field assessments and compile/summarize data and information under direction of project managers and/or technical specialists
- Enter and manage technical data and prepare graphs and tables, as needed
- Assist with preparation of technical reports, plans, and permit applications
- Eagerness to learn and follow current data collections methodologies, protocols, and environmental agency and State Historic Preservation Office regulations
- Two or more years of consulting experience
- Bachelor degree (or higher) in anthropology, archaeology, historic preservation or related field
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Outgoing personality to network with Cardno and subcontractor staff
- Proficient in computer software including Excel, MS Word, and various Cardno and client systems
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Positive, flexible, & team-oriented approach
- Detail oriented, resourceful
- Strong quantitative skills
- Self-motivated; strong initiative
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment
- Solid time management and follow-through skills, with the ability to simultaneously work on and manage multiple tasks/projects with tight deadlines
- Working knowledge of GIS (ArcView)
- GPS data collection skills (especially using a Trimble and associated software)
- Experience with desktop analysis for determination of field survey needs for projects
- Must be physically fit and able to navigate rugged conditions on foot, often in humid conditions, and complete physically demanding tasks including carrying loads up to 50 pounds and digging
- Field survey experience for archaeology including shovel testing and unit excavation (field survey experience of historic structures a plus)
- Experience operating basic hand tools and smaller equipment
- Availability and willingness to travel overnight for multiple days per week, occasionally more than a week, and adaptable to schedule changes upon short notice - work related travel expenses are covered by the company
- Must be able to work in an environment where safety is at the forefront of all operations
- Valid Driver's License with the ability to drive a company vehicle and an acceptable motor vehicle record
- Professional certifications, First aid, and CPR
- Knowledge and experience working with Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act
Direct experience on archaeological projects within Georgia and/or Tennessee
Equal Opportunity statement for US based applicants
Cardno is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This position will require proof of Covid-19 vaccination as a condition of employment and reasonable accommodation will be considered.
Cardno has a long standing policy of Equal Opportunity in employment. Our practice is to fill positions by selecting applicants who can perform the work in a competent and professional manner. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status. At any time, if you need an accommodation during the application process, please contact Human Resources.
Cardno does not accept unsolicited resumes from any 3rd party agencies. No fee will be paid to 3rd parties who submit unsolicited resumes to any Cardno employee. Resumes from approved vendors must be specifically requested by Cardno and approved by the Cardno Talent Acquisition Team.