About the opportunity
SWCA Environmental Consultants is seeking a Project Controls Manager to lead our Project Controls team in the West Region. This position could be based out of any one of our West Region offices, and it also has the potential to be distributed, but should be within proximity to one of our Western offices: San Diego, Pasadena, San Luis Obispo, San Francisco, Half Moon Bay or Sacramento, CA; Reno or Las Vegas, NV, or Flagstaff, Tucson or Phoenix, AZ.
The successful candidate will be part of a dynamic culture where we've created a climate where people are motivated to bring their best work to help us to grow and prosper.
This is a fulltime, salaried position and the candidate will typically work 40 hours per week, depending on workload.
What you will accomplishYou will:
- Manage the West region project controls team by hiring, developing, and directly supervising multiple project controls specialists affiliated with several profit and loss centers, providing training and mentorship, and balancing their workloads.
- Identify, analyze, prioritize, mitigate, and communicate project risks to project managers, directors, and vice presidents.
- Identify, analyze, and communicate trends in project profitability (including multipliers, write offs, and the like), with an aim towards increasing profitability over time.
- Serve as a liaison between offices within the West region and the corporate office coordinating new project controls, accounting and finance related initiatives, training staff, and providing feedback
- Support the regional operations with the development of standard operating procedures for project management and project controls
- Support project managers with project financials (burn rate analysis, actual vs. budget spend and variance analysis, overrun and out of scope tracking, earned value calculations) and ad hoc reporting
- Provide clients with monthly accruals and forecasts, as requested by project managers
- Support West region leaders and project managers by coordinating labor rates and pricing for GSA projects
- Develop training and briefing materials for staff and project managers companywide
- Serve as a point of contact for project managers and clients from project initiation to completion for large and complex projects.
- Participate in the development and adaptation of departmental plans and priorities.
Experience and qualifications for successKey Skills
- Highly skilled at project-level financial analysis, contract management, and related abilities.
- A capable people leader who drives results with both direct and indirect authority, to act as liaison between stakeholders, and who enjoys teaching and mentorship.
- Excited to work on diverse work assignments, be team and customer service oriented, self-motivated, flexible, and results driven.
- Strong reasoning ability to solve practical problems, and a desire to drive constant improvement.
- The ability to work independently and with project managers, staff, client, and agency representatives.
- Able to ‘multi-task' regularly in a fast-paced environment with multiple deadlines
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS-Office, MS-Outlook, Excel, Adobe Acrobat, and Internet/Intranet technologies.
- Experience in project planning.
- Excellent organizational capabilities.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- A bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, biology, geology, anthropology, archaeology, history, environmental science, or a closely related field.
- At least five years of experience in an administrative/organizational role involving contract/subcontract review, budget tracking, forecasting, accruals, variance explanations and invoice review.
- At least two years of supervisory experience
SWCA Environmental Consultants
- Project Management experience a plus
- Familiarity with Profit & Loss Statement
- Experience managing large clients
- Demonstrated proficiency in Deltek Vision, VantagePoint, or similar software.
- Familiarity with environmental protection laws including National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)
- Willing to travel to offices across the West Region.
is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full-spectrum of environmental services. Our Vision (the North Star) is
to make SWCA the best workplace and industry leader in sustainability, bringing sound science and creative solutions to global environmental challenges while maintaining a dedication to employee-ownership. We live our core values: we collaborate as #OneSWCA;
we are #AlwaysLearning
, we #NeverSettle,
and we #GiveBack.
We are 100% employee-owned, and we build our success together. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record's Top 200 Environmental Firms. We offer a supportive, team-oriented work environment and competitive wages and benefits, including an 100% employee stock ownership plan (retirement).
If you are seeking an opportunity to work in a culture of exceptionally skilled and diverse professionals who embrace sound science and creative solutions, then SWCA will be a great fit for you!
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 480-581-5378. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications .
SWCA operates in compliance with all federal, state, and local COVID-19 safety protocols and vaccination requirements. As such, employment at SWCA is contingent upon providing proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or being granted an approved vaccination exemption before starting at SWCA.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
- Requisition Number: 2021-11547
- # of Openings: 1
- Office Location: US-CA-Any | US-CA-San Diego | US-CA-Sacramento | US-CA-Half Moon Bay | US-AZ-Phoenix | US-NV-Las Vegas | US-CA-San Francisco | US-AZ-Flagstaff | US-AZ-Tucson | US-CA-San Luis Obispo | US-CA-San Francisco | ...
- Program: Accounting/Finance
- Hire Type: Regular
- Hourly/Salary: salaried