Summary of Responsibilities:
The St. Louis Cardinals Museum Intern will assist full-time museum curatorial staff with collections tasks: cataloging and processing, inventory and location changes, artifact storage housing projects, and assisting with exhibit installation. Research opportunities on topics to support special exhibits and rotations. Other supporting museum-based tasks as needed.
This job is best suited for an individual who is interested in or on track to become a museum professional. Strong reading, writing, and editing skills are necessary for museum research and working with the collection. The museum uses PastPerfect Collections Management Software, knowledge of which is not required but encouraged, as well as Microsoft Suite. This is an office job that requires a person to be at a computer or desk, standing for periods of time, or using stairs to access work areas. Must also be able to communicate clearly both in person, via email, and on the phone.PLEASE NOTE:
This internship will run from January-December 2022, and candidates who apply must be able to remain in the internship for its duration. Essential Functions of the Job:
Education and Experience Required:
- Work closely with the Collections Specialist on museum collections activities that include: cataloging and processing, object relocation projects and updates, object photography, numbering of objects, and collections care.
- Assist Curator and Collections Specialist with exhibit rotation planning, preparation, and installation. May require research on a topic and creation of exhibit labels to support rotations
- Contribute to exhibit planning and research for Hall of Fame induction cases.
- Assist with establishing plans for new installation to occur prior to the HOF induction weekend
- Participate in museum programming "Artifact Spotlights", which is an opportunity to engage with museum visitors and fans by creating a short 5-7 minute presentation about an artifact(s) that relates to an event or person(s) in Cardinals history.
Education and Experience Preferred:
- Current enrollment at an accredited college or university, majoring in history or a related field, with a minimum sophomore level status
- Applied interest in library science or museum studies
- General baseball knowledge
- Highly organized with an attention to detail
- Current enrollment at an accredited college or university, majoring in museum studies, history, anthropology or a related field, with a junior level status or above
- Previous working experience in a museum and/or historic institution setting
- Knowledge of Cardinals baseball
- Ability to utilize basic hand tools as needed