Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
At Facebook, we are committed to honoring your privacy choices and protecting your information. One of our main goals for this decade is to build much stronger privacy protections for everyone across the Facebook family of apps. Research plays a critical role and we want you to join us in this effort. We are looking for an experienced individual contributor who will help elevate the practice of research with creative and rigorous qualitative research. Our research spans the entire product innovation lifecycle, from foundational, to tactical and evaluative research.A successful candidate will be an effective communicator, passionate about understanding users and their needs including internal stakeholders, curious about the relationship between privacy, data and technology, comfortable in a flat, fast-moving organization, and a great collaborator within and beyond the team and with cross-functional partners.The ideal candidate will have a track record of research on employee-facing products and processes. They will fluently apply their expertise in qualitative methods to shape our internal privacy systems and experiences that underlie company-wide privacy decisions. Our research approaches include concept and usability testing, in-depth interviews, diary studies, contextual inquiry/observations, and ethnography. Experience with quantitative methods including surveys is a plus. We routinely integrate diverse sources of data, synthesize and triangulate insights to influence product strategy.The Privacy Research team is part of the Privacy Organization where we work closely with Product Management, Engineering, Data Science and the other user experience functions (Product Design, Content Design). This role will play a critical part in advancing privacy systems and practices at Facebook.
1. Combine strategic visioning and analytical activity, moving between macro trends and micro trends in Facebook's internal privacy systems and experiences, and developing empirically substantiated point of views
2. Work closely with cross-functional partners (Product Management, Product Design, Engineering, Legal) and other researchers to identify and prioritize research questions
3. Plan and execute rigorous end-to-end custom primary research using the right methodology (qualitative methods), and distil data-informed recommendations through the lens of business impact and user experience
4. Communicate results and illustrate suggestions in compelling and creative ways to a broad and diverse audience including executive stakeholders, and across organisational boundaries
5. Deliver actionable research insights that make our product experiences measurably better
6. Identify opportunities to constantly improve the quality of thinking applied to privacy and internal experiences insights
7. Act as a thought leader in research, while advocating for people who use our products
8. Advance Facebook's culture of accountability in privacy through internal product systems and experiences
9. Advance the community of researchers at Facebook
10. Ph.D. or Masters in Human-Computer Interaction, Psychology, Anthropology, Information Science, Computer Science, Engineering, or Political Science or related fields with empirical research experience
11. 5+ years' experience conducting qualitative research in a corporate environment, including concept-testing, usability, interviews, diary studies, contextual inquiry/observations, ethnography
12. Experience with in-person research
13. Experience working with small to very large sample sizes
14. Experience conveying research findings and implications to diverse audiences (incl. diverse functions, seniority, and through different research artefacts)
15. Impeccable research rigour and experience delivering polished outputs
16. Analytical, project management, and problem-solving experience
17. Experience with autonomy and independent decision making to weigh tradeoffs and balance demands
18. Experience conducting research on internal company tools and processes and with internal users
19. Experience with survey design, sampling, deployment and analysis
20. Experience with research regarding privacy and data use, in compliance systems or with enterprise systems
21. Experience mentoring other researchers
**Equal Opportunity:** Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.